Well, I am back home in the States. And yes, it's weird to be back. I'm having language issues and the like, and I go through spurts where I really really miss France, but in general, I am doing okay. I think it helps knowing that I will be back in France before I know it.
So anyway, my last week in France passed in a blaze. It seriously felt like the holiday ended, and I hopped right on a plane. I arrived back from Aix and was immediately thrown into a frenzy of packing, going through my things, throwing things away, and cleaning. Not to mention lots of goodbyes.
I went to all of my normal classes, because I wanted to see all my students one last time, because I'm really truly am going to miss them. A few of my students copied down my email, so I'm looking forward to hearing from them. It sucked saying goodbye to the ones I really worked closely with. The older BTS also started their oral exams. I did a few, and I was really proud of them. Of course, these are the ones that really took advantage of having me there for questions and help. But still, it meant a lot to see the progress they made these past two years. This was the class that couldn't answer "What is your name?" last year, but just presented their very technical internships to me.
It was rough saying goodbye to the surveillants. At least the ones that were there. I had already said goodbye to C. the week before the holiday, so one of the hardest was done. Tuesday night was my last night with Sn., but we didn't know that, so we didn't say goodbye when I assured him I'd be at dinner on Wednesday. Unfortunately, he fell really sick that night, so he went home. Not only was there no goodbye, but I didn't even get to see him one last time. Really sad. Instead, I had dinner with Francois and another surveillant I always ran into in Cleveland. They were both really sweet though. Thursday, I had to say goodbye to S. I have seen him most days for the past two years, because I always saw him in town. I so wanted to give him a hug, but that is not really done in France, so I had to settle with a million bises. Although seeing as he's probably the best looking guy in Chauny... I really can't complain with him kissing my cheeks.
Wednesday, I was quite the popular person. Not only was I kept busy at the school, but I was invited to Carole's for a coffee. While there, I kept getting texts and phone calls from people. And that only continued. I met up with my friend M. and his friends at the cafe for a drink. It was nice to hang out with him one last time. I'm really going to miss him. It's so weird knowing that I'm not going to randomly run into him (or anyone I always saw for that matter) in town or at the cafe. I really liked that and will miss it. M.'s friend J. also gave me a huge speech in English wishing me well. It was really sweet, and he said everything correctly! He kept looking at M. to get confirmation that he was saying things correctly. I honestly think M. knows more English than he lets on even though he denies it. Maria also joined us for a bit, so I got to see her one last time before leaving. She cracked everyone up when she asked if someone had the grippe porc (pork flu). She didn't know how to translate it from Spanish (grippe porcine... aka swine flu). I'm really going to miss her too. Hopefully, we'll be visiting each other next year.
Thursday, after next to no sleep, I spent from 9am-2:30 at the school with my students. Next up, I talked to most of the administration of the school before finishing my bags, throwing things out, and packing up things to keep with Claude. Deciding that sitting in my bare room all depressed was not the way I wanted to spend my last hour in town, I went into town to enjoy a final diabolo peche out in the sun at the cafe. It was a bit bittersweet. I went to that cafe every single day I was in Chauny this year. Sometimes twice a day. I know, I know, I spent a ridiculous amount of money there, but I just liked the atmosphere. It really made me feel like a part of the everyday life in Chauny. I already miss it.
Claude not only came to pick me up this year to take me to the station, but he was early! We drove to the station where there was no parking directly in front. He circled around a few times before asking if I already paid for my hotel room, because he could take me directly to the airport in the morning. I said I had. He thought for a moment before saying that he could just take me to the hotel if I didn't mind. Mind?! Of course I didn't! Even though I had already bought my train ticket, at least it would mean I wouldn't be dragging my over 100lbs of luggage (not exaggerating... the largest one was 33kilos or 73lbs) on and off the train, and the ticket was only 9 euros. So that's what he did.
It meant an hour and a half drive in his mufflerless car (it so hurt my ears!) and Claude's final Torture Shannon Time, but it was such a relief. We talked about my French some. Somehow, we started talking about how fast we talk. Anyone knows me knows that I speak ridiculously fast. Claude is the same way in French (seriously, he's on speed). Well, apparently, I speak almost as fast in French as I do in English which is a good thing! He said that while my accent tends to be better when I speak slowly, I shouldn't stop speaking quickly, because that seems more natural for me. The accent will come. It just takes time. He also said that it's clear I've picked up a lot from him and my students. We eventually arrived at the hotel and said our goodbyes. He said not to hesitate to contact him if I ever need anything and that he would see me next year in Paris and bring me all of my things. I'm going to miss that crazy guy! I'm so lucky to have been placed with him.
Friday, I was up early and ready to go. The flights were long (I didn't even sleep!), and I was next to a very chatty woman on the Paris-JFK leg, but they went smoothly. Plus, for once, there were good films! I watched Marley and Me, Get Smart, and an episode of Chuck. Cool!
And now, I'm home.
Last night, I went to a friend's graduation party. It was really nice especially since there were so many Francophones there (my friend's from Burkina Faso). His dad and brother were there plus some other Burkinabes and West Africans and a girl from France. Lots of French! Two of the guys thought I was French! I didn't believe them, but they assured me it was true. They said I didn't have an accent when I spoke (you can see why I didn't believe this), and that they thought I had an accent when I spoke English. LOL. Guess it also helped that I was in all French clothes. Still, they were very sweet, and that made me feel really good. They also had a good laugh over the fact that I lived in "Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis" territory.
Wow. This was a long post. Sorry!
I have read that reverse-homesickness can be just as bad - I felt that when I came home from a year in Europe - nothing had changed!
ReplyDeleteHope you settle back in well and enjoy the comforts of home, sweet home. :-)
I am thinking about your feelings towards Chauny about 20 months ago, and I am laughing.
ReplyDeleteSounds like you had a satisfactory goodbye week; here's to one more year in France for you!
Kiwi, I always have a much harder time coming home than leaving home. I so miss France.
ReplyDeleteSoleil, I can say the same thing about you and Soissons. You even thought I was crazy the first time I told you I wanted to renew saying that you'd never want to stay longer! Oh look how things change!