Wednesday, July 22, 2009

decision made

Okay. Well, I guess I should provide you all with an update. Especially those who don't follow me on Twitter, Facebook, or don't speak French.

After much deliberation, consideration, and discussions, I have decided not to go to Paris this year. It's just too expensive, and I'm not sure if this degree is really something that would be worth *ALL* of that money. Living in Paris for a year would be amazing, but would paying loans for 25 years be amazing? Not really. Plus, because of all the strikes last year, they've changed the program for the fall, and it is not what I signed up for. Taking classes with all Americans at Middlebury's school with only a handful of class options? I don't think so. I can always finish the degree here in Middlebury if I choose to do so.

So what will I be doing instead? I will be heading back to dear old Chauny. My contract was renewed. I'll be paid to be in France instead of paying to be there. That seems like such a better option. I shouldn't have felt so relieved to get my old post back. But I was. That's got to be saying something. My plane ticket is already changed (I leave September 23). Next up, back to Chicago to get a different visa. Fun fun.

I do like the summer program at Middlebury, so I am finishing it out. Plus, it'll be good to have the credits if I decide to continue this program or start any other program. I also am learning a lot. And considering I didn't pay a dime for this summer, I might as well enjoy it. Right?

I have three weeks left here, and they're going to be killer. My day pretty much consists of get up at 6am, breakfast, classes until 11, homework, lunch, homework, dinner, homework, and very little sleep. Sometimes with some meetings thrown in for good measure. I'm also in the news club which has shrunk down to 3 members, but I like discussing the current issues. It's "mon truc".

That's all for now. Have a meeting to go to. But it's on Montreal. Oh yeah, I'm going there the weekend. How fun! But it also means Friday will be crammed full of homework.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you made the right decision for you. I am very jealous, and if you could give me all relevant info as to how you got renewed so that I can hassle my CP, I would appreciate it :) Have fun in Montreal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm... how I got renewed... my school loves me??? Basically, the secretary at the lycee gave me the paperwork and some other random forms. The random forms were the school's request for an assistant that was way passed due unless they had a renewing assistant. I told her to give those immediately to the proviseur and then said I couldn't renew again. She shrugged her shoulders, said it was France, and filled out the papers for me. I said nothing to Claude, but he started telling my students I'd be back this year and told the younger BTSers that I'd be administering their BTS exams and such. Then, I just sort of forgot about it, because I had plans and what was the likelihood of me getting to be an assistant again?? Then, my arrete arrived...

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Shannon....

    JUst saying hello! That's great that you'll be back in Chauncy... I'll let you know when I plan some things in France for Sept, if you'd like to be included again!
    I am sad that Mira is back in the States... She was my wonderful travel partner in crime... It won't be the same without here...
    Anyhow.. I hope she makes it back to France!
    Take care and have a great summer...
    Leesa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shannon...

    When are you coming back to France? I would like to keep you included in future outings if you would like to come join us in Paris on a weekend sometime in the future.. Drop me an email when you have a free moment.. Have a great rest of your vacation... Leese

    ReplyDelete