Wednesday, August 18, 2010

exciting news!

Okay, so as long as everything goes according to plan, I will be in my place next Tuesday (well, technically Wednesday)! Yep. That's right. I found a place. I'll have a studio in Valenciennes. In the end, sacrificing what kind of place I wanted just to live in Lille, or spending all of my money on a place in Lille and not being able to do anything else just wasn't worth it to me. I didn't want to live in some shady area far from everything. I didn't really want some tiny room in someone's house where I'd be tiptoeing around others. From the beginning, I wanted a studio, and in the end, that's what I decided on.

It's about 30m2 (like 123ft2) and right on the edge of the center of town next to a park, so I can easily reach everything, and I'm close to a tram stop which I need to take to work. It has everything that I need - a bed, table, desk, what they call a kitchenette with burners, fridge, and microwave (and some dishes but I also have some dishes back in Chauny), a big closet, and a bathroom with a shower (I'm not a fan of the tub with hand-held shower thing).

I'm excited! I'll have the keys next Tuesday, but EDF (electricity company) can't come until Wednesday morning, so I'll have to wait. Maybe the Hotel Ibis right across the street?

Once I have everything set up, and I do a bit of shopping for bedding and such, I'll take photos and post.

I'll also be internetless at my place until I get that setup as well. Luckily, there's a McDonald's right in the center of town with free WiFi, so I guess I'll be drinking coffees there instead of at a cafe at first.

I have something to look forward to though. Alyssa (a friend back from my BW days) is currently studying in Lyon, and as long as everything goes smoothly with the move, she's coming up next weekend! I'll meet her in Lille and after spending some tine wandering around, we'll head back to Valenciennes. I haven't seen her in over two years (since she came up to Chauny for a day), so I'm pretty excited! Plus, that'll be the motivation I need to get everything in place in my studio.

2 comments:

  1. Your studio sounds great! I think you definitely made the right decision by getting a nicer, cheaper place in Valenciennes. And I would bet that because there's a university, there will be more going on than you think. Can't wait to hear all about your adventures in a new town!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mira! Yeah, I'm really excited! Sometimes, I feel sad that I'm not going to live in Lille, but then I have to remind myself that right now, I'm staying in a sweet apartment right in the center of things. If I had found a place here, that would not be the case. But I'll have that in Valenciennes. Plus, in comparison to Chauny, it's freaking huge.

    ReplyDelete