Wow. It's been almost two weeks since I last updated! Sorry. There's just nothing too exciting to write about, and I don't necessary have endearing or funny stories to tell about my teaching like I did at the lycee.
Anyway, first off, a big HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all the Americans out there! I just made some stuffing and will actually be making a small Thanksgiving feast tomorrow for a small group of friends of which I will be the only American. Talk about the pressure as I am trying to slightly impress these people and will be making everything myself (except for cookies which Hannah's student J. will be making).
Classes are going well. So far, I really like my new Masters class. They're charming and funny, and I can easily joke around with them. Okay, so I've only had them twice so far, but so far, so good.
The 3rd year engineering classes have become slightly boring, but that's not my fault. Jane wants to work on recruitment type things with them (i.e. CVs, cover letters, and interviews), so we are all struggling to find the fun in it. Last week wasn't too bad, because we looked at some dream jobs that really do exist. Of course, some of the boys weren't mature enough to not pick the one that was "condom tester". However, one announced to the class that he was going to have 3 of the dream jobs. He would be a beer taster, then a condom tester, followed up by a luxury bed tester. I had to give him some credit on that one. I got a few laughs out of them that day.
I adore a bunch of the 1st year engineers. Some of them come to English Night, and we're able to chat like we're friends which is so nice. This week, Jane wasn't here, so I took all of the 1st year students myself... for TOEIC listening preparations. One class was beyond thrilled to see me in the room, and then I had to break their hearts by saying not to get too excited because we were doing TOEIC. I just have one thing to say about TOEIC... BORING! And most of these students have too high a level of English already for it.
I also had to grade some presentations that day. I don't know if I was nicer than Jane would have been or not. It's not like I gave them their grades, so they can be changed if she has a problem. In one of them, the guy didn't make a single mistake! He even used complicated sentence structures and everything!
One more day of work, and then it's the weekend! Yay! Thanksgiving feast and a trip to Lille to look forward to! Heading to Lille on Saturday to check out the Christmas market (yep, it's already that time of year) and to see the new Harry Potter. We have to go to the cinema in Lille if we want to see it in English, and we WANT to see it in English. I loathe dubbing!
No comments:
Post a Comment