Sunday, January 30, 2011

another trip back to the chauns

Yep. It's that time again. Another post about Chauny! Just what you all were waiting for.

Well, to start, on Thursday, I went out to the university to meet with Jane about the classes starting next week. I think it'll go well, except when I got the class lists, I'm the only teacher without any students who have already passed the TOEIC. Great. I also have a huge stack of 3rd year exams to grade. Of course, I haven't so much as glanced at them since bringing them home.

Friday, I dragged myself out of bed bright and early to catch the train (or I should say trains) to Chauny. Once there, I booked it up to the lycee, because I wanted to see my favorite class, the TGM, which had already started. They were beyond thrilled. I got such a warm welcome. And Claude, being Claude, was like "Did I know you were coming back?" Uhh, yeah, I told you Tuesday. And then he went on to say that the students all said I was coming, but he didn't understand how they could possibly know that. They were all like "It's called the internet! And Facebook!" LOL. They enjoyed my Rice Krispies Treats and and Reese's. Though one kid, bless him, was like "Mais y a pas de cookies?!" (But there are no cookies?!). It's so like him. Walking out, I saw Francois (he was replace A. who was sick. Sad)! I hadn't seen him since I left! Such a pleasant surprise!

After class, I met the American assistant from the other lycee for lunch. We grabbed some things from a boulangerie and went back to hers. It was nice and really hit the spot. I hadn't visited this boulangerie since I left. After some wonderful conversation, I trudged back to the lycee (I think I walk a lot on my little visits) to meet C. for his lunch. Glad I chose not to actually eat with him, because it was some kind of weird fish. But at least, we had plenty of time for a real conversation so we could catch up.

After lunch, I joined the new assistant Mike for another one of his classes. I miss these students so much! They are so sweet even if they can't really understand English to save their lives. Waiting around after to say goodbye to C., I ran into a bunch of the teachers I hadn't seen since leaving. It was nice to chat with them a bit. Oh, how I missed these guys! They're great. Honestly. I finally got a moment with C. He was sad to see me go, but there were no other English classes, so there really was no point in sticking around the lycee longer. He was so sweet and was all like "je suis très content de t'avoir revu ma chérie!" (I was very happy to see you my [insert term of endearment of your choice... i.e. darling, dear, sweetheart]). Yeah, no wonder those rumors all spread like wildfire last year.

Mike and I went down into town for a drink and met up with Elizabeth, and later, Andy. It was nice, and I saw some other people I knew. At one point, I glanced out the window and saw surveillant S. He spotted me at about the same time and broke out into a smile and came in to see me. I hadn't seen him since May/June either! That was so nice to see him!

And now, I really don't know the next time I'll be going to Chauny. That makes me so incredibly sad. I always hate leaving there. Not that I don't like Valenciennes, because I do, but there's just something about the people in Chauny...

This weekend has been a bit quiet. Guess that's nice. Tomorrow, I have my very first classes with the 2nd year engineering students. Bright and early at 8am. Fun fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment