Tuesday, February 21, 2012

all dressed up and ready to party gala style

So this past weekend was my school's Gala. Imagine a very formal affair (kind of like a prom) with a fancy dinner, shows, dancing, and a champagne room. Some of my students were seriously decked out in ball gowns.

We had a bit of a hectic arrival, but we made it to the place (a casino of all places) with some time to space. Denise went with one of our friends who's doing his PhD at my school, so we had a nice little group. Unfortunately, we weren't at the same table. Brazilian and I were at one table with a few people who work in admin and their spouses, and Denise and PhD were at the table next to us. Still, the four hour long dinner and shows flew by.

Brazilian, me, and Denise in the Champagne Room
Gala


The arrival was a bit of a big deal with ticket checks and everything. They took photos of us as we walked in, so once those are put online, I'll be able to possibly share that with you. Each table came well equipped with a gigantic bottle of champagne and four bottles of wine for eight people... most of whom didn't drink at our table. Don't worry, we still managed to finish it all.

During the delicious multiple course dinner, the students put on a show complete with videos, skits, dancing, and musical performances. It was so cool to see some of the hidden talents of my students. After the student portion of the evening (and some speeches), there was a professional polytechnic show. I found it a bit boring and my attention kept wandering. However, that seemed to be the general consensus among both the staff and students who came.

After dinner, there was dancing and a champagne room. We spent some time on the dance floor before hitting up the Champagne Room where they were selling really good bottles of Champagne for only 20 euros. Of course, we took advantage of that. I got a very warm welcome from some of my students who came and drunkenly chatted with me for quite some time. It was really nice.

We decided to take the 2am (though with French lateness make that 3am) student bus home. These students were far gone... I don't even want to think of what the ones who left two hours later were like. We were feeling pretty exhausted ourselves, plus Brazilian and I had plans to meet some friends at 9am the next day to go to the Carnaval de Binche. After plenty of student bus antics, we arrived back in Valenciennes and luckily convinced our friend to meet at 11am instead.

All and all a great night I must say. I'm so glad I went.

I'll write later about the Carnaval de Binche!

No comments:

Post a Comment