Literally. Well, ok, maybe not literally for me myself, but for the water pipes outside my apartment, that was the case. The arctic weather that has been sweeping across Europe had a very bad effect on my poor pipes. We've been good tenants. Keeping the heat on in the rooms where the water pipes are, but that didn't help the ones that are exposed to the elements outside.
I was taking my shower this morning and realized quite quickly that the water wasn't draining. At all. Then, the water heater started leaking, because water had no place to go. A quick call to the owners and a visit by one of them, a few visits by the plumber, and more than a handful of hours later, the situation seems to have been sorted. Thank god, as I have two visitors coming up this weekend from Chauny!
As annoying as our owners can be, they sure are good at getting things done. We've never had to wait long for them to arrive if we have a problem. So lucky for that!
It has been freezing which really makes me reluctant to leave the flat. It's just too cold. The other morning, I was waiting to be picked up for tutoring, and the family was late. Not a great day to be late as it was below freezing out. I was bundled up, but my feet were so cold that they hurt... especially when they thawed out. I got yelled at by Brazilian for my gloves since they're fingerless (perfect for using my iPhone), so I had no right to say my fingers were cold. But then I pointed out that he had the exact same sort of gloves and that his fingers would soon be frozen as well since he had his suitcase to drag. Yesterday, I found my real gloves and my hat, but even still, the biting wind goes right through them.
Last night, we hurried across town to our friend's for a Chandeleur party. Chandeleur is in celebration of the day that Jesus was presented at the Temple. Today in France, it's more known for the fact that you make and eat crêpes (French style pancakes). We might have been like icicles by the time we arrived at our friend's place, but it was well worth it. Good friends, delicious crêpes, and cider warmed us straight up. Nothing can be better than that.
I'm really hoping this glacial weather breaks soon.
And it's two weeks until the Gala! Need to start setting exact plans. Tickets have been confirmed. Have a respectable guest to come with me. Have a potential dress and possible (painful) shoes to go with it. Denise is still planning on going even though my colleague who invited her is getting on her nerves. Biggest issue is transportation. Taking the student shuttles isn't the most appealing option, but it might be the only one. I'm hoping my colleague sucks it up and agrees to drive.
Ok, this is my third winter in France and I want to know if it's just me or is it effing cold?!!? I don't remember it being THIS cold in the past!!!! Do you?
ReplyDeleteStay warm, stay inside and drink lots of wine!!