Monday, January 30, 2012

french administration fail

So a couple of weeks ago, I received an invitation to the school I work for's Gala. It's basically a big fancy formal dinner and party, and as a member of faculty, myself and a guest can go for free. I, being American, chose the completely unFrench way to RSVP - email. I never received a reply, so today (two week's later), I stopped in to see the secretary in charge of the list just to be sure. Here's the conversation we had in French:

Me: Bonjour
Secretary: Bonjour
M: I emailed a few weeks ago to confirm my presence at the Gala, and I just wanted to verify that it was received. I often have problems with my computer. (That one was a total lie, but I wanted to justify being there.)
S: Oh, yes, we received it. No problems there. However, the director and I wanted to get ahold of you but weren't sure how, because we need your guest's name for the place card, so it's a good thing you came in.
M (probably gaping in disbelief): Sure, it's....

I mean, seriously?! They received my email to them, but then weren't sure how to contact me? Did replying to my email never occur to them?? And if that failed, with the university email system, you start typing a name, and their email pops up automatically. And this was coming from the director's secretary. This being France, she probably has a Masters degree in how to be a secretary.

French. Admin. Fail.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like she just gave the first lousy excuse she could think of for having put it off till now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! That is probably the case! Though if she had replied straightaway... Apparently, it's common knowledge that you give your date's name when you RSVP, but since I didn't go last year, I had no idea. It wasn't a surprise to her that she would need his name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, you really are back to blogging! Ha, I love that "didn't know how to contact you", too funny.

    ReplyDelete