Tuesday, July 24, 2012

back home, visas, and a reveal


After a far too short visit to Lille, J. drove me to the airport in Brussels for my flight. This was the first time I had someone other than my mom seeing me off. It was nice. The check-in process at this airport is just a mess (never thought I'd be thinking that CDG in Paris was very efficient!). After I finally gave in my bag, J. and I went and had a very expensive coffee before having to say a rather difficult goodbye. The downside of having someone see you off...

I've been back in the States for a week now. Basically right after arriving, my mom and I drove to Chicago so I could apply for my student visa. As my mom stated, over eleven hours in the car, paying tolls, hotel, and parking, and suffering scolding hot temperatures so you didn't want to be out in the city, all for a five minute appointment at the Consulate. Literally. We got there early, went up about ten minutes early, they called me five minutes early, I gave them my paperwork, and they sent me on my merry way. The one advantage of this trip was that I was able to meet up with a girl I studied with in Aix for the first time in six years. That was a good time!

Here I am less than a week later, and my visa has arrived! That's a load off my shoulders. No more worrying about that! If I would have known they'd be so oddly efficient and quick, I would have booked a shorter trip home as I really have nothing to do here. I'd have more things to do in France. Not to mention making money by giving English lessons! And the other big reason...

J. Now that the cat is out of the bag here (wanted to tell my mom first) and for those of you who haven't already guessed, J. and I are together. Because he's a private guy on the internet, I won't be posting his full name or what he does (for those of you who are really curious, message me).

The first question is usually how did we meet? He has been talked about many times in this blog before. He was one of Hannah's students last year. We all started hanging out and became friends. So we've been friends for over a year now, and we saw each other quite a bit under the friend context. Just after my birthday, he made his move while we were having a movie day, and we've been together since then.

I'm quite happy with him, and of course, I miss him like crazy. Talking on the phone just isn't the same. Only two and a half more weeks to go...

2 comments:

  1. Glad everything went well. Oops, I assumed you were with Brazilian!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! And nope. That's a common assumption. But nope. I can tell you more about that whole situation, but not on here, because who knows who's reading! If you want more details, email me shannon.harto@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete