Friday, July 13, 2012
endings and new beginnings
My work as a lectrice is officially concluded. I handed in my keys to Jane on Wednesday after attending the (boring and long) Assemblee Generale and munching on the delicious goodies they provided at the reception after. It was a bittersweet moment and saying "goodbye" to Jane was sad. She even remarked how strange it was to see my desk all empty. However, the good news for both of us is that I'm sticking around next year, so it wasn't a real goodbye. We even have plans to hang out in August.
As of last night, Brazilian is officially moved in. It was a tiring move since there were only a few of us. It took forever to move all the furniture and such! We had two lovely people who graciously donated their time and energy to help us (thank god). Still, it took much longer than planned and ended with the two of us putting back together his bed at 1am so he had a place to sleep since the couches were either covered and/or inaccessible. The majority of his things are still overflowing and blocking the living room, so pictures of the place will have to wait until after I return from the States.
I'm back to the States on Sunday. J. is driving me to the Brussels airport early Sunday morning so I don't have to spend Saturday night in Brussels. How awesome of him! So I'll be chilling in Lille until then... maybe partaking in some of the Bastille Day festivities?? Though the fireworks will probably be much too late for us considering they won't start until like 11:30.
See you on the other side! Fingers crossed that there are no problems or delays getting my visa! And hey! I'll finally get a real summer! It's been so cold here that I've been wearing long sleeved shirts, a scarf, and a jacket!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Good luck with everything! At least you are settled in before your trip. Hopefully the flat will be all nice for you to come back to, what are the odds of that?
ReplyDeleteGood luck and bon voyage!! When was last time you were in the the States?
ReplyDeleteMy visa appt. is on Monday so here's to a smooth experience for us both!
Safe travels.
Gwan, thanks! Brazilian has assured me that he's already going full steam ahead in organizing his stuff, so here's to hoping!
ReplyDeleteElla, thanks! I was last here for Christmas. I wouldn't be here now if it weren't for the visa thing. My appointment is on Wednesday! Good luck!
Hi Shannon! I happened on your blog today via someone else's blogroll - hope you're not creeped out to hear from a total stranger. (I'm really nice, I promise!) I saw that you've been teaching in France, and I was wondering if I could get in touch with you to pick your brain a little bit about your experience, as I'm planning to hop over there to teach ESL in the not so distant future. Would you mind? My email is catherinerose.mountain@gmail.com, if you're so inclined :-)
ReplyDeleteThanks!
CatherineRose