I'm writing to you all today from under a warm blanket, snuggled up on the couch, looking out at the snow covered square in front of my boyfriend's (and soon to be my) apartment. Winter has finally come to the North of France. And it has come with a bang. It went from moderate temperatures with lots of rain straight to below freezing temps and snow! Not that there's a lot of snow. It's what Northeast Ohioans would call a light dusting, but it's enough to cause traffic problems. Not to mention lots of ice! People walking on the snow makes it melt, but the freezing cold temperatures causes it to turn to ice. It's fun slipping and sliding around! Err... not.
J and I went to Ikea on Saturday and purchased a new armoire that will be big enough to fit most of our clothes. Luckily, there's room enough to keep his other one as well. Most of my clothes are still back in the US (and probably should just be donated now), but I still have far more than the bare necessities. What can I say? I love to shop. Though since becoming a student, I have only bought one dress (for less that 15 euros!), a robe, and a pair of boots (the last two both during the current sales). Talk about self-control.
However, the new armoire, being heavy as hell, is still sitting in two boxes unassembled in J's garage. Just getting it out of the car and into the garage was a real feat. Luckily, his parents are coming up at the end of February, so we'll take advantage of that and have his dad help us get it up to the apartment. Plus, it'll be going in the spot where there's currently an unused TV and TV stand (both of which will be going home with his parents).
My week has been spent searching for (and procrastinating searching for) an internship/placement/stage/whatever you want to call it. It's not as easy as I thought it would be! Apparently, everything is done last minute here in France (surprise surprise), because most people are looking for students who can start now! I hope this means I'll have a choice of placements coming my way in the next few months! But me being me, I can't help but start to panic over this. I'm trying to stay calm as no one else seems to be worried. J is going to help me tonight to go over the cover letters I did write for the few positions that might work for me.
Speaking of France doing everything last minute, I still don't have a schedule for the new semester! The new semester that starts Monday! There are a few classes in the online system, but the secretary keeps changing them around, so who knows. The only class I know of for sure is Monday nights, and it started this week. The secretary confirmed that it's a class I need to attend at 5:00 this past Monday, an hour before class. Ugh ugh ugh. Needless to say, I missed it as I'm currently in Lille. Also, the potential schedule we do have is ridiculous! We're talking extremely large breaks (and there's really no place to go to spend this time on campus), and I'm basically going to lose most of my English lessons. But it's not like I can even really talk to the parents as the schedule changes every other minute, so it's not like I can really see if I can reschedule them. Or hell, if I'll even need to, because the class might suddenly be moved! I'm so annoyed at the moment.
je suis heureux ,que vous soyez heureuse .Un français (excusez moi ,un breton, qui soit dit en passant,dit que la Bretagne est la plus belle région de France )je plaisante!Vous avez un regard sur la France et les français ,assez équilibré.Je vous écrit se message en français ,parce que je lis assez bien ,l,anglais ,mais j,ai beaucoup de mal a l,écrire .Je pense que que vous allez découvrir .que quoi que vous fassiez ,il y aura toujours une différence entre nos deux pays."VIVE LA DIFFERENCE"
ReplyDeleteMerci pour votre commentaire. Parfois, j'ai l'impression que je critique trop la France dans mon blog, mais en fait, j'adore votre pays. C'etait mon decision de rester. Je vais toujours voir les differences entre les pays, mais ca veut pas dire que la difference n'est pas une bonne difference :-)
DeleteAs soon as I think it's been super mild and maybe winter will pass by this year, BAM! Same thing last year... It's actually not as cold as I gather it is elsewhere, no snow yet (there was in Italy when I was there on the weekend though!)
ReplyDeleteAh French bureaucrazy... Good luck with the internship!
It's been around -10 here some mornings! Even colder with the wind chill. I'm just hoping I won't be going home to frozen pipes. My housemate left after I did, so who knows how much heat he left on??
DeleteThanks!
You have to hit up the sales! The markdowns are really good. You'll get your money's worth..I promise. I have been such a shopoholic this month. I keep going back to the stores anticipating on 2nd or 3rd mark-downs and have been lucky! I bought so many things that I wanted at full price but just hoped that they'd be still around for the sales and they were! Go, go, go!!!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on getting an armoir. Have you assembled it yet? I think that in itself is half the battle. We haven't bought ours yet. Tell me how it turns out!
I ended up buying a new purse yesterday for 7 euros! Sweet deal!
DeleteWe haven;t assembled it yet. We're waiting for when his parents are here in February in case we need his dad's help.