Friday, August 8, 2008

this has been amusing me all day

Jennie has made a post about the rankings of the best and worst départements in mainland France. For a little background, France is divided into regions and then those regions are divided into départements. They're almost like states with each one having a Préfecture (kind of like a capital). Though the government is still far more centralized than it is in the US. Anyway, overall, Aisne was ranked number 95 out of 96 départements. I will be returning to the second to worst place to live in France. Haha.

Let's see where it ranked among other things... (rankings are out of 96)
For youth, 91: for families, 95: for the elderly, 96.
Living environment (relation to the sea, mountains, pollution, etc), 67
Commerce, 62
Culture, 84
Economic growth, 92
Higher education, 63
Price of housing, 23 (can find some cheap housing there! Although in relation to the salaries, the housing is so expensive)
Availability of Internet, 67
Success rate for the Bac (test to receive your high school diploma), 90 (ouch!)
Weather, 88 (surprise surprise... got to love the rain)
Healthcare, 76
Economic power, 56
Health of habitants, 94
Security, 55
Social situation (unemployment, income): 89

Wow. So the best ranking we have is for the price of housing followed by security (and that ranking isn't even that good). I feel special. I was lucky enough to be placed in such a great département! Haha.

What's interesting though is that some of the locals actually love it there. Yes, there are some whose main goal is to get the hell out, but there are others who want to stay. And I'm not talking about those who have no choice but to stay. I know several teachers who want to be in Aisne. Of course, I know even more who were placed there because they didn't have enough points to go to one of the more attractive regions. And oddly enough, I grew to love it there as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment