I leave in a little over three weeks! Sometimes, it feels like time is just creeping by, but other times, it feels like it is flying by! I now have my visa and have given my last day at work (September 18!), so I am pretty much set to go. I just need to pack, buy some little gifts and an endless supply of gum for Veronique, and shoot off an email to Claude reminding him that I'm returning (and that I want my room). So basically, I am ready.
I'm a lot calmer this year since I really don't have anything to worry about. Besides my rusty French that is. I'm anxious to get back to France, but I know what I have control over and what I don't, so I just don't freak out over the minor things. It's a much calmer feeling than I had last year. I like it!
A little over a week ago, I met up with a new assistant in my academy who happens to live like 10 minutes from me. Small world, huh? She was super nice, and our meeting reminded me of how many questions I had last summer. It felt good to be able to help her out and give her some reassurance. Plus, I'm thrilled that all the new assistants in my region that I've personally talked to (whether in person or on Facebook) have been really nice. Especially the one girl who's in my town (still waiting to hear from any others...).
I just had a fantastic trip to Boston and Chicago. In Boston, I got to hang out with my friend Tara, and she showed me around the city. I also attended some amazing conferences and workshops which inspired me and motivated me to find out what I can do in France to contribute to the group. I've been waiting to email the woman in charge (who is probably one of the most amazing women in existence) since I figure she is being bombarded with things at the moment, but I'm really excited. I also got to see Jennifer Hudson perform (just for us!!), and Tim Gunn give a great speech (he cracks me up!) and answer questions from the audience. Best time ever! I also grew a lot closer to a few of the people from work. I'm going to be really sad to leave them now.
In Chicago, I stayed with my friend Suzanne while I applied for my visa. We studied abroad together in Aix, and this is the second summer we have met up in Chicago. We had a great two days and some yummy food and sangria! I also was able to see David, a guy I studied with in Aix that I haven't seen since then. Suzanne and I also heard so much French around the city except at the Latin Music Festival (sponsored by the company I work for, oddly enough) where we heard Spanish, obviously!! I swear, I heard just as much French as I did English on the streets.
Being in Boston and Chicago reminded me of how much I love big cities. I've never lived in a big city, but I really have a craving to give it a try once I return from France. I just love the feeling of being surrounded by the bustle of it all, and there's always so much to do! I just feel so restless here in my suburb of Cleveland. You know? And Cleveland is definitely not a city I would want to live in.
It's definitely easier coming back the second time. The first day speaking in French was rough, but then it was fine. I had a weird "this is my life" moment last night, since something that I would have been so excited about last year (I'm in the car with 3 French people and I can understand them!) was totally normal, so it was weird that I wasn't excited! Anyway, if that made sense, enjoy your final few weeks at home!
ReplyDeleteYay three weeks!
ReplyDeleteAndromeda, it's good to know that the second rentree will be easier, I'm starting to worry too!
Andromeda, I haven't spoken more than a handful of words in French since May! I sure hope it all comes screaming back to me after I arrive. I'm glad to hear that your transition back went smoothly!
ReplyDelete