Happy Thanksgiving to all my American friends!!
Yes, yet another Thanksgiving away from home for this American. Third one in a row that I'm in France. It hasn't been too bad. Just another day. Though some of my students and some random teacher (i.e. not an English teacher) knew it was Thanksgiving and wished me a "Happy Thanksgiving". So sweet. And I've explained the history of the day (in French and English) more times than I can count. My TGM class (aka the students who love me) were so distracted by the story, that we spent all of class discussing it.
And my BTSers fought over me today. They got all excited about being in group with me. Starting next week, that's what we'll be doing. This shall be interesting considering that according to Claude, their main goal is to get my attention and to impress me/make me laugh. I also had a new group of secondes today. I was a little nervous, because I don't know them at all, and they act like a bunch of "tough guys", but they turned out to be total sweethearts. I'm excited for my next class with them. They were a little rowdy, but not bad. Just excited. Though when i reminded them that their actual teacher was next door and could hear them if they got too loud, they calmed down a bit. Though the whole "Madame" stuff has got to stop. I don't like it. It freaks me out. I will emphasize the whole "you can call me Shannon" thing next time.
Surveillant Francois broke out some mad English skills yesterday. He even corrected his mistakes before I could. I was impressed! Not that he could actually hold a conversation in English (well, maybe he could), but he was the last surveillant I would have expected to say anything in English. Okay, maybe not the last, but still.... He threatened to call Natasha's mom and tell her that her daughter doesn't finish her meals. I've also noticed that the surveillants are much more social when they're alone with us (with the exception of S. and C. who just love to chat). Like Sn. is always more social after Francois leaves dinner, but oddly enough, Francois was more social when we were alone with him. Go figure. Don't understand them.
Saturday, we will be having our Chauny Thanksgiving, and I will be the only American. Fun! Tomorrow night, I am making my aunt's loaf stuffing (only my favorite food ever!) in preparation. Can't wait. And I've already said that "America" wins out all night. I win all battles when it comes to the correct ways to say things. None of this "chips" instead of "fries" or "rubbish" instead of "trash" and the like nonesense.
Sunday, we're celebrating St. Andrew's Day which is Scotland's holiday. Paul is making haggis. Not going to lie, I am very scared at the prospect.
One more day and then it's the weekend! I say that like the week just crawled on by, when in fact, I have no idea where the time went!
No comments:
Post a Comment