Sunday, November 23, 2008

snow is so much better than rain

It's snowing in Chauny! Legit snow! Here's evidence:

It looks like it might even be starting to stick to the ground! I know it's not going to last though, because it's supposed to rain tonight. Boo! I prefer walking in snow to walking in rain.

Thursday, we went to our cafe for glasses of the Beaujolais Nouveau. I swear, the server almost did the bise with me. He came over, and I reached out my hand since we always shake hands with the servers and owners, but he was definitely leaning down until he saw my hand! Natasha also noticed this, so it was not in my head! Okay...

Then, we had a great dinner conversation with the surveillants. S. was telling us how he just passed his firefighter exams, so he is now allowed to go into burning buildings and all that jazz. And he had the most hilarious impression of going on a call and entering a burning building. But unfortunately (for him anyway), there aren't many fires in his town. So C. offered to go set fire to something. They then proceeded to discuss that best types of building to set on fire. Umm... okay... But the saddest part of dinner was learning that S. gave a free concert with his band in town, and I missed it. Now, I've seen S. play his guitar but never with his band, so I got him to fill me in on all the details and what songs they sang. He said there were so many students there cheering him on and calling his name. He said it was nerve-racking. This was the most talkative S. has been in a long time.

I had some issues with some students on Friday. It's a class of three students, two of which I had last year. Well, I saw the one, and he said "Hello" to me and then disappeared. I found the other two with the rest of their classmates and friends. I asked if they were coming or not, and they just sort of looked at each other, and everyone started laughing, so I just said "whatever" and left. Their teacher was not too thrilled. Claude got all protective and asked if his students were ever like that. I assured him that they weren't.

In my other class, C. came in to talk to my students. While talking to my class, he kept making faces at me and laughing. If you know C. and his mannerisms, that is not at all unusual. It's just him. Every time we have dinner together, we pretty much spend the whole time seeing who can get the other to laugh more. But still... in my class?? Come on!

Yesterday, Natasha and I went to St. Quentin to do some window shopping. Or, at least that was the plan. I needed to buy eye shadow, so that was the one thing I was planning to buy. Let's see... I bought a really cute purple tank top dress shirt for 10 euros on sale from Cache-Cache, a hair straightener at Monoprix (my last one died in Aix), a gorgeous long white knit scarf with pockets for your hand from Etam, and a cute sweater shirt/dress from some cheapo store. So much for not spending money. At least everything (besides the straightener) was really cheap. Natasha also found some great things.

While shopping in St. Quentin, I was having reactions to the weather that definitely involved me showing that I was definitely a foreigner. We went into one store while it was sunny, and we walked out five minutes later and it was raining! I pretty much shouted "Oh! Come on!" in English. Yeah. Then, when we came out of Etam, it was snowing! I pretty much squeed with delight and shouted "Yay! It's snowing!" If any of you remember from last year, snow in my area is uncommon. And snow without any rain is even less common. This was actual snow! Nice big fluffy snowflakes! I texted M. who lives in Chauny, and even he didn't believe it was real snow until I assured him it was, because it wasn't even snowing in Chauny which is like 15 miles from St. Q. Natasha and I were on Cloud 9.

Then, we continued our awesome day at our cafe. Maria made us an awesome dinner, and we watched old music videos on youtube. It was a lot of fun! Reliving the days of Backstreet Boys, NSYNC, Ricky Martin, Spice Girls, etc. Nice! Our girls' nights are always lots of fun. We weren't planning on going out, but then we decided to because we were all in such great moods. Such a good night!

5 comments:

  1. Yeh.... It snowed here too, today!! It didn't stick but there were such HUGEEEEE snow flakes... I was soooo excited (yeah, I'm from So. Cal) that I opened the window in the kitchen and yelled out several times-- YAHOOOOO, it's snowing, it's snowing.. in English, too, of course!! Then I went to the living room window and yelled outside of that one, too!!
    Maybe we'll get snow this year!! That would be a big change for me!!
    Take care,
    Leesa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had lunch today with my choir near Laon, and the snow was AMAZING! Huge snowflakes, and it even stuck to the ground!!! I was so excited. All of the Frenchies were freaking out though. I felt like I was a Michigander lost in Georgia during a "snowstorm." There was maybe one centimeter on the ground. Come on people! It's just a little snow!

    Then I got back to Soissons and it was just raining. Sigh. No snow for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leesa, haha! It's so awesome to shout out that it's snowing! I got so excited too. I'm not a huge fan of snow, mainly, I hate driving in it, but I do love to look at it. And it's definitely nicer than rain.

    Soleil, I can so see the Frenchies doing that! The teachers at my school will freak out at the mere mention of snow. When it snowed in St. Q. yesterday, it didn't snow in Chauny. I think it's just sort of picking and choosing where it wants to snow. Still, a big surprise for November in Picardie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. re: people freaking out, Welcome to my life! I am from North Carolina and if "snow" comes out of the meteorologist's mouth, its off to the store for bread, water, milk, and batteries! Granted when we do get snow there is a sizable slab of ice under it, but still. And n one can dive! Because we don't have plows and the roads stay covered. Its a mess. I love snow though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess it snowed everywhere this weekend! It stuck last night, had a good inch or two, but it's all gone this morning. :-( Was pretty while it lasted!

    ReplyDelete