Monday, June 7, 2010

goodbye, chauny. hello, aix

I made it safely to Aix and am enjoying the time off and catching up on my shows with some very shoddy internet.

My last few hours in Chauny flew by. I said goodbye to the rest of my guys the night before I left. The BTS even gave me a nice send off. My favorite student and A. even hung around a bit more (after sharing some hilarious stories at dinner) to give me a proper goodbye. They both said that they hope to come to the US at some point and will be looking me up (if I'm there). I jokingly told A. the other day that I missed the cantine food. Then, I told him that I actually missed him and the other surveillants. He said that there was an emptiness at the table without me there. Aww!

The following morning, I got up bright and early, packed up the rest of my stuff, and then went to a class. Yes, a class on my last morning. A class I've never gone to before, but it was a good way to keep tabs on Claude. As great as he is, he's also easily distracted. So after saying goodbye to people at the lycee (the proviseur even did the bise with me!), Claude and I headed down to the station.

I was still way early when we got there (best not to tempt fate with Claude), so I opted to stay inside the station and sit instead of asking him to carry my suitcase up and over the staircase to the other side of the tracks. We said goodbye, him offering me some help when I arrive next year. So nice of him! Just as it was getting to be time to get over to the other side of the tracks, two students from the lycee (only one of which I've ever had in class) came. They were headed to Noyon and offered to carry my suitcase to the other side! Perfect! They were also thrilled that they got to see me one last time, and besides the night before at dinner, we had never talked! And then, Emily came to see me off from Chauny! I was so sad to leave, but I managed to keep it together for the most part. One of the saddest parts was when I realized I wouldn't be seeing C. like I normally would that day of the week. I almost burst into tears. Luckily, we texted some that afternoon as we were both traveling (me to Aix, him to Chauny) and we've chatted a bit since then as well.

The journey to Aix was long, and I managed to make it in one piece with all of my things though I ended up with aching arms for days and a few bruises (which could have come from anywhere... including packing). Vero has spoiled me with yummy food, cheese, and good conversation. I'm pretty much just hanging around and trying not to melt in temperatures that aren't even that hot yet. Vero works a lot, so I'm often alone, and it's a bit lonely. Yes, I could have stayed in Chauny, but then I would be spending money I don't really have on my room, food, drinks, etc. Plus, she's been begging me for months to come down. I'm lucky to have her even if I will be bored out of my mind by the end of these three weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment