Tuesday, September 7, 2010

first day down

I had my first day of classes on Monday. Two classes at an hour and a half each to be exact. They went well. I didn't run out of things to do. The classes were small (they weren't all there as some were helping with the first year students' orientation), and they were pretty quiet, but I did have a few in each class who were willing to talk. I also got a few laughs for my jokes (in English)! While I'm still a bit unsure of their level, it is such a change from the lycee! I can't even compare the two!

We also talked a bit about the strikes planned for today. In short, President Sarkozy wants to change the retirement age in France where the French must work until 62 instead of 60 to receive their entire pension. Yep, that's right, Mom, you could currently retire with full benefits if you worked in France. Despite half the students having no idea what was going on (one student thought the current age was 65), they agreed with the reforms. Every single one of them. They recognized that something has to change or else there would be no money left when they get to retirement age. Smart kids. Of course, most of France doesn't agree. Hey, not that I can talk. The US has to reform social security as well, but people protest that idea.

Anyway, I have no idea how followed the strike was in Valenciennes today. I didn't have to work, take public transport, or feel like seeing if there were any huge protests going on, so... no clue.

This evening, I went out to explore the park that's right next to where I live. It's even bigger than I thought! There are lots of paths, a lake, a stream (river?), and a playground for kids. I think I'm going to have to start walking it on a daily basis. I wish I had my dog Mackenzie here with me. She'd love the park.

Also, just on a side note. Yet another reason why I loved my students at the lycee. This was one of the messages I had from a former student yesterday: "I really miss you Shannon !!! It was so great those moments with you !". How can you not love that? He also informed me that he is studying theater and cinema in Amiens and hopes to study in the US next year. I'm so proud. I always knew that's what he would end up doing.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like things are off to a good start! How nice to have students who can have a real conversation!

    ReplyDelete