Friday, September 3, 2010

labor day start date and the scary zero

I handed in my paperwork for my carte de sejour (residency card) today, so fingers crossed that everything goes smoothly with that!

Last night, I went out with two of the other lecturers. We were going to go to a place called Cuba Bar. After all my experiences at Chauny's Cuba, I had shame just thinking about going there. Luckily, the others decided before I even got there to change the venue. We were probably amongst many of our future students (95% of the crowd seemed university age), but it was still a good time. I really like the other lecturers so far, so it should be a good year.

I've had a few meanings with Jane (my new colleague), and we're nearing the start date! Actually, my first day of teaching is Labor Day. There has got to be something wrong with that notion! I start the day all American teachers have off! Not far!

I booked a ticket for Paris for the end of the month since so many people from Middlebury are going to be there at the same time, and one of them offered to let me crash at her hotel. Then, I of course looked at both my American and French bank accounts and wanted to cry. I've had a lot of start up expenses here, and both accounts are nearing zero. And once my student loans come out of the American account this month, it basically will be at zero. How I will eat this entire month until I get paid will be interesting. I also won't be signing up for internet until next month now.

This weekend is the big Braderie de Lille which is the biggest flea market in all of Europe. I was thinking of going, because it's pretty much the biggest thing to happen all year (and apparently like a huge party), and it's right next door, but because of my current financial status, I think I'll be sitting this one out. That makes me sad. I would probably spend a max of 20 euros (train + two 5 euro meals), but I think that's even too costly at the moment.

3 comments:

  1. Ahhh, I remember the days of stretching ramen noodles until my first paycheck came in...

    Sounds like, despite the financial soucis, things are off to a good start! Can't wait to hear how teaching goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sympathise with the financal woes, I got sooooo sick of being poor after the assistantship and before that being a student and travelling etc. Good news is you'll be earning more really soon! Don't worry too much about the braderie, I went one year and it was honestly like being in a nightclub on the street. I don't mean with music and dancing, I mean a really crowded nightclub where you're so jammed in you can barely move have to push past people in that sort of full-body contact way all the time. Unpleasant! Plus just full of people selling utter crap. I'll be going to the braderie de Tours tomorrow though, much less of an 'event' I imagine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soleil, there is a lot of pasta in my future. Too bad I hate pasta...

    Gwan, no one has described the braderie like that to me! A total turnoff. Since I'm really not interested in buying anything, I really wouldn't want to put up with that. There's a braderie in my old town of Chauny, and I wish I knew about that one before today, because I'd much rather go there!

    ReplyDelete