Monday, my students were giving presentations on their work placements (internships). They went fine for the most part. I say for the most part because some of them consisted of a lot of technical jargon such as explaining really really complex formulas. That about did my head in. Although Jane had a couple of students who got up and were like "My project was confidential and I'm not at liberty to discuss it". Wow. With all the technical stuff, I had to really keep my mind focused. And then, the one student who was talking about designing airplane engines (complicated but there were no formulas involved) kept saying the "ine" in "engine" like the "ine" in "dine" even after I corrected him. Oy. It annoyed me. But at least after the long morning, I went out for pizzas with my language colleagues which was a good time.
With my first years, we were working with film scripts and acting them out which led to some hilarious moments. Often times, they had no idea what film they were acting out (the character names were changed, and since they've most likely only seen the film dubbed into French, the dialogue doesn't sound familiar.) It's been a little while since I've shared some little classroom anecdotes, so here we go.
One group had a scene from Titanic with Jack, Rose, and Cal. Of course, they guessed their scene right away (the scene were Rose gets in a lifeboat but then jumps back on board). Despite there actually being a girl in the group for once, the two guys decided to act out the parts of Jack and Rose. The guy playing Rose stuffed his shirt full of tissues or something and put on a girly voice. He also jumped on the other guy for when Rose and Jack are reunited and was then carried around the room. We about died laughing.
Another group in a later class doing the same scene was made up entirely of guys. The one guy put on a girly voice and at a part where he should have been running, he ran in place and started screeching, "I'm running! I'm running!"
But I think this reenactment takes the cake. The students were acting out the "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn scene from Gone With the Wind". They interpreted the scene as needing to run out into the hallway, the girl sobbing at the top of her lungs and yelling "Rhett! Rhett!" among other lines and then slamming the door. All is well with that... except that was the very end of the last class... also known as lunchtime. The secretaries were all sitting out there at the large table already eating. God only knows what they thought.
Other than that, after class, Denise and I took advantage of the gorgeous weather and went to Lille for a little of shopping and to meet up with another lectrice for ice cream. It was a good time!
Today, I did some exam and lesson prep out at the uni. I'm definitely not a huge fan of getting up early on days that I'm off, or paying to take the tram to go out there when I don't have class. However, the exam stuff should be set now. If the listening part goes wrong, I will be so annoyed. At least afterward, I was able to be lazy for awhile and catch up on some American TV before meeting Brazilian to help him find some things for his aquarium and wander around a few shops. We have a potential trip to the Netherlands planned for Easter weekend. As long as nothing pops up with his work, it should be happening! Looking forward to that.
Then, this evening, Denise and I got motivated and made some homemade bagels. They are delicious! And really easy to make! I haven't had a bagel in forever. Why France doesn't have bagels is beyond me!
No comments:
Post a Comment