Thursday, March 31, 2011

what? you're 100% not french?!

We've started frequenting a tiny coffee shop that kind of resembles Starbucks (i.e. to-go coffee, specialty drinks such as lattes and comfy seats). The first time we ever walked in, the guy working and a few other guys were all speaking heavily accented English and some French. We were a bit confused but shrugged it off. When the guy working (actually the owner) heard us speaking English at our table, he switched to English with us straight away. He's actually German! Since then, he's always been very friendly and happy to see us. I'm not quite sure of his wife's story... though one time he did ask us if we spoke any Polish...

Fast forward to a few days ago. Denise and I walked in, and he was thrilled to see us. He said that he hadn't found a single person all day who could understand English. Definitely not a surprise here in Valenciennes. I took that opportunity to ask about his French skills, and he confessed he didn't know a word before arriving in November and still can barely speak it. Poor guy. He also asked me how I learned English so well. Umm... what? I told him I'm American. He just stared at me before asking if I grew up in France. I said, nope. Just moved here a few years ago. He then asked if one of my parents were French. Again, nope. He thought I was French and only spoke English to the others, because they were anglophones! Wow.

Well, at least someone around here is really impressed by my French skills and doesn't even think I look very American! Now, I just need to convince the actual French...

No comments:

Post a Comment