I had a lovely but far too short weekend in Paris with Hannah. Hannah's sister spent the year in Paris, and she had a super cool flat right smack dab in Saint Michel. She left on Thursday, but as the flat was paid through the end of the month, we were able to stay in it for the weekend. We didn't do too much, a lot of drinks on terraces and good food. I was also able to catch up a bit with my Middlebury friend Carole.
Saturday, we went to the exhibition at the Grand Palais. It was weird. It was this big huge leviathan thing by Anish Kapoor. It was really cool to see, but I'm not quite sure it's worth the ticket price. However, that could just be my opinion as I'm not a big fan of exhibitions of any sort.
Soon after, I met up with my friend Emily. I was able to see the ritzy place she lives as an au pair. Seriously, I felt so awkward waiting in the lobby for her. We went in a few shops and walked quite a bit before catching a bus to Saint Michel. We didn't stick around there too long though. Instead, we headed off to a place that a 1,50 Happy Hour (Can't beat that!) and then headed to the exact opposite end of the city to get a delicious Mexican dinner from El Nopal which we enjoyed along the Canal Saint Martin. We then met back up with Hannah, and we all ended up going for rhum-rhums (one of my favorite drinks!).
Sunday, we were stuck with our bags, so we were pretty lazy. We had a full on amazing Irish breakfast which ended up being the only thing I ate all day, because it was so filling. One of the cafes where we had drinks had very friendly servers who were funny and charming. We were in a tourist area so that definitely surprised us! I must go back there.
Ran into two of my students in the various stations. Yep yep. Like, I looked across the way at Gare du Nord and spotted one of my favorite first year students (he lived in Michigan for 6 years). I almost did a double take much like another student did to me when he saw me in his train car. But that doesn't really count as we were leaving Valenciennes. It's much more common to run into people there.
Other than that, back to work today. It was the last actual class with the second year students. Now, it's presentations, presentations, presentations. I have to work extra hours to get them all done. And then, it's oral exams, written exams, and lots and lots of marking. We're the only school at the university that's still in session which is making us all unmotivated.
Wednesday, I'm off to Belfast for a few days to visit Roxy. I cannot wait!
No comments:
Post a Comment