I've been on holidays for a week now, and so far, they have been nice and relaxing.
I started out in Paris where Emily graciously let me sleep on the floor of her chambre de bonne. Hey, you can't beat a free place to stay in the 8th! Immediately upon dropping my bags off at hers, I ran back out to meet my BW French professor for lunch. She was in town for an intensive Arabic class (and a break from lovely Berea, Ohio). I finally fulfilled my craving for steak frites, and then we spent some time wandering around the neighborhood and enjoying some fresh strawberries. It was nice to catch up a bit. That night, Emily and I headed out for falafel and a viewing of Harry Potter 7 Part 2. Yes, when in Paris, do as the Americans do and go see HP in English. It was also my first 3D film, and it surprisingly didn't make me sick. 3D video games make me all dizzy.
The following day, we headed over to the Esplanade des Invalides for the 5th Annual K&K Bastille Day Picnic. We caught up with some good friends and chatted and ate the day away until the fireworks display late that night. In our company was an author (like a real published one! I've even read her book!) and her diplomat husband. Yep. You read that right. We picnicked with an American diplomat to France. Can you top that?
At 4:30am the next morning after far too little sleep (we didn't even get back to Emily's until like 12:30am!), Emily and I were up and getting ready to catch our early trains, hers to London and mine to Aix-en-Provence. For those of you who don't know, I studied in Aix five years ago and lived with a French woman. We got along so well, that I often go back to visit her - usually about 2 to 3 times a year, but for various reasons, I hadn't been there in over a year this time. I arrived in Aix before 10am, and I was just plain exhausted. Unfortunately, I was stuck in town with my (heavy) bags until I met Veronique outside her work at 4pm. Talk about a boring and unproductive day. That said, finally seeing Vero again was well worth it!
Since arriving in Aix, I've just been chilling out with Vero and Chamallow (that cat is still kicking and still my best friend), grabbing coffees at my old haunts, wandering the streets, browsing the shops (the sales are dangerous), and just plain relaxing. It's a bit boring, I won't lie, but it's the holidays, so I'm not going to feel guilty about being lazy and reading and watching lots of TV. I also saw HP again. A girl must take advantage of the option of seeing films in English while she can! Plus, I REALLY wanted to see HP again.
I have one more week left in Aix, and then I'll be headed to Poitiers for a weekend. The co-director has invited me to a soiree one of the profs is having at her house so I can see everyone (teachers included) all at once! Should be fun!
Once back in Valenciennes, I'm going to be tutoring like mad for the month of August, so I'm going to take advantage of sleeping in and no obligations. One family has booked me (at 9am!) for three times a week, another for two times, one is at once a week with a possibility of going to twice a week, and I still have a few more families to schedule! With the one, I was doing at least two lessons a week, so I bet that'll stay the same! Hello, money!
No comments:
Post a Comment