Friday, July 8, 2011

why i don't want to leave val

Wednesday was such a great day. I started the afternoon by heading out to the university. We had the end of the year Assemblee Generale (General Assembly) where the director talked for ages about what when on this past year, accomplishments of the school and students, and the new exchanges signed. I felt that he was a bit repetitive and sometimes at a real loss for words, but whatever. Finally, he came to the part that my colleague Jane and I were really there for, the retirement part. Our colleague Rene was one of the retirees. The director gave a lovely speech about each retiree and then they each spoke for a few minutes. Rene's turn was quite entertaining.

Afterward, there was a nice reception full of really delicious goodies (and chic ones at that!) including macarons! Heaven! I started talking to a doctoral student who will be spending a week in the States for a conference in September, so we had quite a bit to chat about.

We were some of the last to leave the reception, because Jane and I had plans to go into town after to meet our colleague Thierry. I worked with him when I was still teaching the Masters class. We met up with him and headed to our favorite neighborhood German cafe, and we spent a few hours there chatting. They gave me some wonderful ideas of things to do in the area this summer, and I gave Jane some last minute suggestions for her family's trip to the States next week. Apparently, the first thing her son wants to buy is Reese's Pieces. He simply adored them when I brought him back a box in April. Finally, we all said goodbye "dans la facon francaise" and made plans to see each other in August once we're all back in town. All and all a lovely afternoon.

Jane and I have become a lot closer recently, and it's nice. I don't know if it's because I'm sticking around next year, so she's warmed up, if it's just the two of us feeling more comfortable around each other, or if it's some other reason, but we just talk a lot more about things outside the realm of work. I hope it continues next year. One thing is for sure, I'm going to be so sad to leave in a year.

Anyway, back to the day at hand. In the evening, I headed to a friend's for a BBQ (a real BBQ this time). Once again, I was surrounded by engineers. At first, myself and Brazilian's friend (another non engineer who didn't know anyone else there) stuck together, and we had a good conversation about our summer plans. He invited me to come meet up with him and Brazilian in Avignon while I'm in Aix. Might have to take him up on that offer! It's been forever since I've been to Avignon. But as the evening went on, I became more comfortable around the others. It helped that I had met most of them the last time I was over this friend's. It turned out to be a great evening full of conversation, laughs, and endless amounts of BBQed food.

Tonight, we're all going to try to do something again, so we'll see.

Quite a few people have asked me recently if I was thinking of moving to Lille since Hannah will be leaving come September. It's semi tempting, but then I think of the group of friends I've recently developed here - people who will be sticking around - and I realize how happy I am here. I love having them over or meeting up with them to do something. I don't want that to change. Yes, Lille is bigger and there's more to do, but in the end, the best nights happen among friends when we're at someone's place. I don't need a bigger city for that... especially if these friends aren't even living in the bigger city.

2 comments:

  1. A real BBQ? Like with hot dogs, hamburgers, and baked beans instead of pork brochettes and pasta or rice salad? :) I'm glad you ended up liking Valencienes so much that you want to stay there next year. Yay for more fun in ch'nord stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I guess it was more of a compromise BBQ. He had steaks and merguez. And some sort of brochettes with beef and veggies I believe (I didn't try one). It was closer to American than the last French BBQ I went to was!

    ReplyDelete