I think I finally have a schedule worked out for all my tutoring. At least for next week. I should know in the next few days if this plan will work for weeks to come. I really do like giving lessons (and the extra cash that comes with it), and most of the kids are so adorable and sweet, but some of the parents are such a headache. Sometimes, I just want to say "If you can't work around my schedule, find someone else!". That said, some of the families are incredibly nice. I'm giving a lesson this afternoon, and I have been invited to stay for dinner (this is the 3rd or 4th time I'll be having dinner with this family). Cross your fingers that what I have arranged works out!
But people need to stop passing around my number! Some weeks, I'll have more tutoring than actual real class time! I'm flattered that everyone thinks I'm some amazing teacher who knocks the competition out of the park, but I'm really not. I'm just making it up as I go along, and ESL websites are my new best friend.
Tomorrow, I'm heading off to Paris for the day at the crack of dawn so I can see Emily before she moves back to the States. She lives much closer to me here than she does in the States, so it made much more sense to splurge on some tickets to go see her even if it is just for the day. I'm also taking some things off her hands including some yummy American products. We're also planning on going to eat burritos at Boca Mexa for lunch. I'm never one to turn down some delicious Mexican!
In other exciting news that I don't think I've shared is that I bought my ticket home for Christmas! I'll be Stateside from December 14 to January 5. Technically, I have to be back at work on January 3, but as it's just first year classes, and I'm owed some hours, Jane told me to just stay at home longer. My colleague is awesome! Hopefully, the wintry weather won't pose any problems!
Shannon
ReplyDeleteMy Dad used to be a language teacher and, in order to teach what he used to call The Thickies <because he believed that everyone has the right to learn a foreign language, not just the academically gifted) he'd often pick a new language (to him) like Esperanto or Spanish and, as long as he stayed one lesson ahead of the kids, he'd do OK.
He really used to make it up as he went along!
All the best
Keith
P.S. Have you got your new "assistant" yet? Your last one won't give me any juicy gossip (about the gin and stuff like that!)
Hi Keith,
ReplyDeleteHaha! I love what your dad did! I should give that a try myself. At least I know English (well, that can be argued a bit), but I have no idea how to actually teach English when the student has no prior knowledge.
My new flatmate hasn't arrived yet. She's coming at the end of September, so there's no real gossip to share yet!
-Shannon
Enjoy Paris! It's a beautiful day today!! What's this Boca Mexa? I'm intrigued! I'm always on the hunt for good mexican food in Paris. Is it any good? Or just good for France?
ReplyDeleteThat's great that you'll be home for Christmas! Nothing says Christmas like going back home. : )
Boca Mexa has some very yummy burritos, quesadillas, and the like. Complete with Mexican workers. http://www.bocamexa.com/fr/restaurant
ReplyDeleteWhen we were there today, there were plenty of Mexicans enjoying the food. They even have a nice spicy sauce.
You should definitely check it out!
Hey Shannon,
ReplyDeleteIs there anyway that I can email you? I don't see an email option on your blog. I just want to shoot you a note in private, if that's ok.
Don't worry, it's nothing weird!
Ella
Sure, Ella!
ReplyDeleteIt's shannon.harto@gmail.com