Monday, September 26, 2011

finally catching up!

Wow. It's been forever since I updated, so I will just do some basic highlights of my last few weeks to get myself back in the game.

- I went to see Emily in Paris. We had a lovely day wandering around, eating burritos, and just chatting. She sent me home with many many goodies that she would have had to throw out. It was like Christmas in September!

- I helped my friend Denise look for flats and then move into her new one... two doors down from me. Literally.

- I went to a party for my friend's birthday party where the theme was characters that start with "Z". I went as Zack Morris with a huge cell phone that I made. Needless to say, most of the Frenchies did not get it. At least a few of them had heard of the show! In any case, it was nice to catch up with some friends that I hadn't seen since July.

- I've been doing a lot of tutoring which basically involves me running around like a chicken with its head cut off most Wednesdays (among other days).

- I bought a used bike at this thing they were having in Val a few weeks ago. Hopefully, I'll get some good use out of it this year. Denise and I have done some biking to some shops and out to the university and back. The plan for this weekend or next is to bike out by where my colleague lives which apparently has some nice paths and nature to see.

- I organized a Couchsurfing meeting the other night. Not too many people came that are members of the site, but there were still a lot of people (mostly friends) including a Belgian guy I had hung out with a few weeks back. The two of us met up before for coffee and dinner before heading over to the bar where some of us had a few too many beers. Knowing the girlfriend of the bar owner is dangerous. And let me tell you, tutoring the next morning was not very fun.

- Denise and I joined Cine Club which is a film club in Valenciennes that brings in movies in their original language and some artsy French films. So far, we have seen (all in English!) Beginners, Midnight in Paris, and Blue Valentine. Tons of people come out for this! See, Valenciennes! You should do more films in VO! Blue Valentine was an emotional train wreck and it was walking out of that film when I got the message about my friend. It all just made me burst into tears.

- I've met a few of the new language assistants in town, but I'm really not going to make it a habit of hanging out with too many of them. It's making me feel old. Plus, I'm already established here.

Other than that, classes have been going well. I like my students a lot. Who knows what they think of me, but I like them! We already all know each other which makes it easier I think. I joke around with them a lot since I'm really comfortable with them. Tomorrow, I will finally start meeting the first year students. I wonder what they're like. Apparently, there aren't very many of them this year.

Tomorrow, following a very hectic day, I will be meeting my new flatmate at the station. Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment