Thursday, October 6, 2011

last week of summer...

The unseasonably warm temperatures have departed, and autumn has officially arrived weather wise. Luckily, we fully took advantage of the last week of beautiful weather!

Well, the biggest news of the week is that the new flatmate Clare is here! So far, so good! I've taken her around Val a bit to pick up things that she's needed. She's also decided to take the tiny room for her room, so we're turning the living room into a proper living room. A friend of mine (who rocks beyond the telling of it) and I even went to pick up what is called a clic clac (think futon), so we have proper sitting space! We're hosting out first soiree Saturday night, so I'm really looking forward to that!

I've kept myself fairly busy this week and last. Besides Clare's arrival, Denise had a friend visiting so we went out a few times, drank far too many beers (sometimes with students present), and had an all around good time. We went to what was supposed to be a foreign student night at a bar but in all reality was just a normal student party night. A few of my 3rd year students were there, and we spent the whole evening chatting. They kept telling me (in English) that they wanted to do their internships in the USA (pronounced the French way). They were cracking me up. I don't think I realized before this night how much some of the students do like me, but these ones sure made it clear. And every time they went to get a drink they'd be like "We come back. Don't leave us."

Speaking of students, besides the headache that can be the new colleague, I'm getting along with the students just fine again this year. Some of the first year students crack me up so much. I spent my last class on Tuesday in fits of laughter as the students were attempting to pry into my social life. I flat out told them (only half joking) that I didn't want to hang out with them, and that I couldn't be friends with the students, and they actually said "What happens off campus, stays off campus. No one has to know." Still didn't work on me, but that hour and a half flew by! It was the last class that I got along with best last Tuesday as well. I'm enjoying them.

Back to fun times, last weekend, I went with Denise, her friend, and a language assistant to Mons, Belgium. Trains in Belgium are half off on the weekend. Going to have to take advantage of that one more often! The weather was gorgeous, so off we went. It was fun. We hung out on the Grand Place, did some exploring, and ate some yummy ice cream. Good times.

Sunday, I went off to Lille to meet up with a friend that I hadn't seen since he moved there in July. We met up for a drink, went to see Crazy Stupid Love (in English!), and had another drink. It was great seeing him after so much time. Lots of good conversation is had. Will not let so much time pass between hanging out with him again. Well, I definitely won't be waiting that long for the next time, because he has said he's coming on Saturday.

Tomorrow, I'm off to Chauny for the day. As always, I cannot wait! I haven't been there since May which is far too long ago! I talked to C. the other day for like 2 hours, and that pretty much sealed the deal on going this week. I miss my guys! Though most of the students I had have now finished. Sad face.

1 comment:

  1. You do so much traveling within France, it's great! I really need to leave the bubble of Paris...France is so much more!

    It sounds like you get a kick out of your students..."What happens off campus, stays off campus!" LOL! How do they even know that expression?!

    ReplyDelete