So last Friday, I didn't end up going to Chauny. Why not? A train strike. What else. I knew about the strike (who didn't hear about the basic stand still that was the SNCF Thursday night?), but I kept checking my trains, and they were said to be on time. Of course, my train was cancelled right as it was supposed to leave. Reluctantly (and a bit angrily), I left the train station, texting C. and my other Chauny friends that I would be coming a week later instead. Basically, I got up early and had absolutely nothing to do with my entire day.
At least Saturday was a much better day! I hosted my first soiree with a proper living room. Plus, it was a good opportunity for the new flatmate to meet everyone. I had far more people here than ever before, feeding them spicy burritos (which received approval from my Mexican friend) and lots and lots of drinks. While French was the majority, at one point, I counted 9 different nationalities. Rock on. Considering how late it ended and how much was consumed, the night was a total success and lots of fun!
Sunday, I pulled myself out of bed far earlier than I would have liked in order to give the flat some much needed love. Every single dish was dirty, and my feet were basically sticking to the living room floor. Why such a rush to get things in order? Jane was stopping by to drop off a table she's loaning us. And not only did she come up, but her husband did as well! Thank god, we made it look like people lived in the flat as opposed to animals. They didn't stay long though as they were helping out a friend. In the evening, two friends came over, and we broke out the leftover desserts from the night before plus some popcorn and all watched Inglorious Basterds. I still have to look away at certain points in that film.
Work went relatively well this week. My 3rd years were bored out of their minds with the cover letter lesson. Hell, I was bored out of my mind as well, not to mention that I have such a killer cold that I was losing my train of thought as I was speaking to them. Only 6 students showed up to the second lesson, so I think word got around. I even joked about it to the class, asking if "Word got out about the exciting lesson on cover letters". They sort of chucked, and I knew that had been exactly the case. Jane reported a similar response. I had to do practice presentations with the 1st year students, so that wasn't very exciting or original. One class didn't take it seriously at all, so I had to do some reprimanding which was sad, because I actually like that class of students the most.
Friday, I'll actually be going to Chauny! Yay! Cannot wait! I haven't seen C. and Claude and the rest of the Chauny crowd since May. Far far too long!
Where are you?! :)
ReplyDelete