Aix was an awesome time! Veronique and I pretty much talked nonstop the entire weekend. We laughed, we told each other stories, we mocked the Picard accent... all and all, a good time. It was really sad to leave. This time, it wasn't because I didn't want to go back to Chauny, it was because I didn't want to leave her. That was hard. Two days wasn't nearly enough time. She joked around that she wanted me to live with her all summer. Actually, I think she was serious.
Saturday, I arrived in Aix in the afternoon. Vero had a lunch all ready for me when I raced up the stairs to her apartment to meet her. We chatted some before heading into town to meet up with her daughter Roxane. We went into the Cathedral, and then met Roxane near the Mairie and soon after, Roxane's friend. We all did a little shopping before going to sit at a cafe. It was a beautiful sunny and warm day, so we wanted to benefit from it. Saturday night, we all had dinner together (along with Vero's current student... we won't even go into the problems Vero has with her), and Vero and I stayed up really late talking, and I showed her some of my photos.
Sunday was pretty much a repeat. We just couldn't stop talking and joking around. In the afternoon, we went out for a walk and to see some Cezanne thing that is up near where she lives. We decided to sit outside in the park-like area and chat some more while enjoying the sunlight. She also made one of my favorite meals! Yummy!
This morning, we passed my last few hours in Aix together. Vero made me a nice big early lunch so I wouldn't be hungry. And you know Vero, she also sent me off with a huge bag full of goodies. How sweet!!
All weekend, she kept commenting on how much more outgoing and how much less timid I am. I just kept on talking. I told her to correct me whenever I made mistakes, because I have picked up some of the horrible habits of the other assistants. I did pretty well. She also said that my accent got better the more I talked with her. It's a shame that I can't continue improving that... I'm back here where we're all foreigners talking together and the French people we talk to mostly have the horrible Picard accent. She was also surprised at how well I could understand her. Every once and awhile there was a vocab question, but everything else... not a problem at all. It's because she speaks really clear French unlike this region. Plus, even though I was only there for a short time, by the time I left, I found myself thinking more in French than in English. That's really good, but it's a shame I had to leave that behind.
Once back in Chauny, I sent her a message to say that I arrived home safely, and she called me back. We made plans to talk next weekend when I get back from Rome.
So speaking of Rome, I'm off tomorrow! Before the crack of dawn. We have to take the 5:30am train in order to get to the airport on time. Fun! Be back Friday!
No comments:
Post a Comment