Wednesday, September 24, 2008

welome back to chauny!

I have arrived safely in Chauny! The journey here was anything but fun (why or why did there have to be a strike with the RER?). But I did make it here and am no worse for the wear. The RER was still running despite the strike, it was just crammed with people. I wasn't aware there even was a strike until waiting for it on the platform and an announcement was made. Oh well. I was seated next to another assistant on my flight so we navigated the airport and RER together. He was grateful, because I was easily able to figure out the RER and direct him to the train station he needed without so much as looking at a metro map. I was grateful for the extra help with my luggage.

Chauny hasn't seemed to change at all. My arrival this year reminded me of my one last year. It was cold, dreary, and rainy. Luckily, this year I had my nice warm comforter awaiting me in my room, so I had a terrific night's sleep. I even already had my reintroduction to the cantine. The students who know me were thrilled to see me. I had a nice pleasant dinner with Sn. and a new surveillant (already forgot his name... oops), and my French doesn't appear to be too horrible. Sn. commented that I didn't lose it at all, but I think he was just being nice.

Today, I'm going to go buy some shampoo and other necessities. Natasha and her family should be here by this evening. Another Chauny assistant just got in touch with me over Facebook, and he should be here on Monday. He's from Ireland (I believe). Looks like I'm the only American here in Chauny this year.

Well, that's it for now. This computer and keyboard are driving me nuts! It's so old and slow and the keys keep sticking and I keep hitting the wrong thing, because it's on the French layout.

A plus!

No comments:

Post a Comment