In some ways, I feel like so much has happened since I last posted. In others, I feel like nothing has happened.
My class with three students in it finally came for the first time. I flat out asked them what they want to do since they're not too happy to be meeting me during their free time. They said they'd like to watch films and talk about US history. Okay, I can do that. I just prepared a lesson to go along with Little Miss Sunshine. But I might hold that off for another week and do something on the inauguration this week. We'll see. They thoroughly enjoyed the lesson I had prepared with movie trailers and discussing them. Maybe they'll be more willing to show up. It's not like I'm going to make them do difficult things.
My terminales on Friday had a quiz, so I took the book I bought the other weekend with me and showed it to Claude. We did some listening activities together. The only help I needed was on some complicated vocab words (that apparently even my students wouldn't know). Claude's offered to help me out in any way he can. He told me to let him know if I want to work together on a Wednesday afternoon sometime. I might take him up on that offer. He has also banned me from speaking English with anyone I can speak French with. He's telling everyone. I also have to keep a notebook of things I don't know how to say in conversation, and we will go over them together. When I told Maria about this, she jumped right on the bandwagon, banning English in their flat. Of course, we have to speak French with her no matter what, but still, she doesn't want to overhear it when she's not sitting with us. Natasha and I have spoken only in French all weekend. Even on MSN. Paul is a little harder to convince.
Friday night, we had plans to go out to the bar, but nothing too extravagant. So I was definitely not expecting to crash into my bed at 6am. All four of us went out for the first time since way before break (usually someone is missing). We were having such a great time, and we definitely did not want it to end. Luckily, it didn't half to. The guy who works at the bar offered to take us to a boite (nightclub). Don't worry, I wasn't going off with some stranger. I've known him since last year, have hung out with him before, and know like half of his friends (like my good friend T. and surveillant S.). So we went with him, his sister (who we went out with a few times last year), and some of their friends. It was a really good time. Even though he apparently couldn't remember my name at first! And I know he knew it at some point, because he came to my birthday party last year! Anyway, yes, finally got to go someplace fun! Well, as fun as a boite in Picardie can be. Plus, we spoke French all night which is also a plus.
Yesterday, we all had lunch at our cafe. Paul had some friends in town, so we spent a good part of our afternoon there. I love lunches there. They're so yummy! Plus, I think we're finally starting to win over the "unfriendly" server there. He was kind of chatty and very agreeable yesterday with me and Natasha. We'll see if he keeps it up!
Today, I took advantage of the beautiful weather we're having and went for a nice long walk. It's strange when I think that 35 degrees F is nice and warm. Plus, it was sunny! Very windy, but warmish an sunny. I walked all the way to the south of town, up along the cemetery, went near to the cinema, and then came back. It felt really good.
No comments:
Post a Comment