I totally forgot to mention in my last post that we spent Sunday evening in Paris. After meeting up with one of Viany's friends to pick up some gifts from her and eating the world's smallest most expensive pizza (seriously hate Pizza Hut... I don't even like it in the States but Natasha wanted to go), we went to see Twilight. Yes, we went to see the film about a teenage girl falling in love with a vampire. Again. We're so cool. We saw it in V.O., which means that it was in English but with French subtitles.
While watching it, I did learn some good phrases, most of which I promptly forgot, because I couldn't write them down. However, it's ridiculous how much is lost in translation! There were times that Natasha and I were laughing and no one else was, because the line wasn't translated with the same humor behind it. Like, for example, there's a line when one of the adults said "I'm down with the kids" or something along those lines, but it was translated to "Je comprends les ados" (I understand teenagers) or something. There were also times we started cracking up because the line totally didn't match what was just said. There were also things that were just completely dropped out and not translated at all.
Now, I know things are always changed a bit especially cultural things but honestly? It seemed like too much was lost if you didn't understand English. Now, I know Twilight isn't some deep story, but still... Maybe whoever subtitled the film just did a sub-par job. I don't know.
Also, we saw a preview for a French film called "LOL (Laughing Out Loud)", and we so want to go see it!
And randomly, I took the same quiz as my Terminale S students yesterday (but in French), and Claude and I went over it today. In a page full of writing, I only had about 5 mistakes... 95% of which I could technically get away with writing but there's just a better way of putting it. The other 5% were spelling errors, and let's face it, I can't live without spellcheck in English. Guess my written French hasn't gone as downhill as I thought.
Thursday is the big national strike. It's been awhile since we've had one of those. Got to love France.
HEY SHANNON!!!!!! its Casey Sweet...Haha i've never left a comment on here before so i hope it works out lol well i just wanted to say HEY!!! and i miss you but you must be having a blast! You are so lucky to have the experience to travel out of the United States!! and that is totally awesome that you got interviewed and stuff for the newspaper!! I would say keep me posted on how you are doing but i guess thats what your blogs are for! lol I really love reading what you have to say. Just keep writing =P
ReplyDelete