So yesterday, I had a message in my mailbox to urgently call some woman at such and such a number. I was a little confused, because seriously... who was she? But since she did try to contact me though the school, I decided to just go for it. It was a journalist from the local paper. She wanted a perspective on the inauguration of an American living in France. I agreed, because well, I'm incapable of saying no and hey why not? She came to my place where I was watching CNN on my computer, and we chatted about what was going on, my thoughts on Obama, and what not. She even took my picture which of course made me groan inside.
This morning, I went out to buy the paper. Not only is there a small picture of me on the cover, but there is a big one on the second page! Of course, they misspelled my first name. I spelled out my last name, but I completely forgot that the French like to spell my name "Shanon"... even Sn. noticed the mistake right away when I showed him the article at lunch.
I'm hesitant to link the actual article, because I am careful not to say the name of the school where I work. So I'm going to share some photos and copy and paste the text.
Investiture d'Obama : Shanon y était… ou presque
Shanon n'a pas raté une miette de la cérémonie d'investiture du 44e président des États-Unis.
Hier soir, Shanon Harto avait les yeux rivés sur son écran. Dans sa chambre du lycée **, cette Américaine commentait même l'événement en direct avec ses amis restés au pays.
LOIN des yeux mais certainement pas loin du cœur. Pour rien au monde Shanon Harto aurait raté l'investiture d'Obama. C'est depuis sa chambre du lycée **, où elle assiste les professeurs d'anglais, qu'elle a suivi l'événement minute après minute.
Pas sur l'une des chaînes françaises qui avaient bousculé leurs programmes pour l'occasion, mais sur CNN, via son ordinateur. « C'est important pour moi d'entendre la voix d'Obama car avec les sous-titres, ce n'est pas la même chose. J'aime sa façon de s'exprimer et j'ai envie de vivre son discours au plus près » indique la jeune Américaine de 23 ans qui en est à sa deuxième année scolaire en France. Son diplôme de commerce en poche, elle a souhaité perfectionner son Français. Arrivée à Chauny en septembre 2007, elle est repartie aux États-Unis en mai 2008 pour revenir en septembre dernier.
En direct sur CNN
Plus que suivre la cérémonie en direct, elle la commente avec ses amis Américains. Merci internet ! « Nous regardons tous le programme et on en discute grâce à Facebook. C'est un peu comme si j'y étais. Hier soir (NDLR : lundi), une copine m'a envoyé un message : elle était au concert donné en l'honneur d'Obama par U2, Beyoncé et Bruce Springsteen entre autres. Elle m'a dit que c'était super » rapporte Shanon qui soudain prête une oreille attentive aux commentaires sur CNN. « Obama est toujours avec Bush, traduit-elle. C'est la tradition : au moment de la passation de pouvoirs, ils boivent un café ensemble. Apparemment, c'est presque fini. On va bientôt entendre chanter Aretha Franklin avant la prestation de serment. Je ne vais pas en rater une miette » dit-elle, toute excitée.
C'est la première fois que la jeune fille, originaire de Cleveland, dans l'Ohio, se passionne à ce point pour la présidence. La première fois qu'elle a voté, c'était en 2004. Aux États-Unis, la cérémonie d'investiture est toujours très suivie à la télévision. « Mais voir Bush, ça ne me tentait pas trop » confie la jeune femme avec une grimace. « La fois d'avant, c'était Clinton mais je ne m'intéressais pas encore à la politique. J'avoue que si Mc Cain avait gagné, je n'aurais peut-être pas tout regardé en direct. Sûrement après-coup, car je veux quand même savoir comment ça se passe, cela fait partie de la culture de mon pays » explique la jeune Américaine qui, on l'aura compris, avait misé sur le bon cheval grâce au vote par correspondance.
« Noir, et alors ? »
« Obama apporte un regard nouveau. Ses adversaires lui ont reproché son manque d'expérience en politique mais il en a dans sa vie personnelle et professionnelle. Je suis plus modérée que la plupart de mes compatriotes : les choses ne vont pas changer tout de suite. Cela va prendre des années car les problèmes étaient déjà nombreux et la crise n'a fait qu'en rajouter mais il a de bonnes idées pour amorcer un changement ».
Quand on l'interroge sur l'engouement autour du nouveau président, Shanon regrette qu'on se soit focalisé sur sa couleur de peau. « Cela n'a rien à voir avec les choses qu'il va faire pour nous. Certains n'ont voté pour lui que pour cette raison, je trouve cela dommage ». Mais chut, ça commence !
Lucie Lefebvre
I also translated it into English...
Obama’s inauguration: Shannon was there… or almost
Yesterday evening, Shannon Harto had her eyes riveted on her screen. In her room at lycee **, this American comments on this event even with her friends back home.
Out of sight, but certainly not out of mind. Shannon would not have missed the inauguration of Obama for anything in the world. From her room at lycee ***, where she assists the English teachers, she followed the event minute by minute.
Not on a French channel who have postponed their programs for the occasion, but on CNN via her computer. “It’s important for me to hear the voice of Obama, because with subtitles, it’s not the same thing. I love his way of expressing himself, and I want to really experience his speech indicates the young 23 year-old American who is in her second school year in France. Her business diploma in hand, she wished to perfect her French. Arriving in Chauny in September 2007, she returned to the United States in May 2008 and then returned again last September.
Live from CNN
More than following the ceremony live, she can share her thoughts with her American friends. Thank you internet! “We watch the entire program, and we can discuss it thanks to Facebook. It’s a little like I am there. Yesterday evening, a friend of mine sent me a message: she was at the concert with U2, Beyonce, Bruce Springsteen, and others given in honor of Obama. She told me it was super” reports Shannon who suddenly lends an attentive ear to the CNN commentary. “Obama is still with Bush,” she translates. “It’s the tradition: before the transfer of power, they drink a coffee together. Apparently, it’s almost finished. Soon we will hear Aretha Franklin sing before the oath. I’m not going to miss a second,” she says excitedly.
This is the first time that this young women, originally from Cleveland, Ohio, has such a passion for the presidency. The first time that she voted was in 2004. In the United States, the inauguration ceremony is always broadcasted on television. “But seeing Bush didn’t appeal to me much,” confides the young women with a grimace. “The time before, it was Clinton, but I was not yet interested in politics. I confess that if McCain had won, I probably wouldn’t have watched it live. Definitely afterwards, because I want to know how it all happens, it is a part of my country’s culture,” explains the young American who, we understood, chose her candidate through absentee voting.
“Black, and then want?”
“Obama brings a fresh perspective. His opposition criticized his lack of political experience, but he has experience from his personal life and professional career. I am more hesitant than most of my compatriots: things aren’t going to change right away. It’s going to change years, because there are already so many problems and the financial crisis is only adding to them but he has good ideas to initiate a change.”
When we ask her about the infatuation surrounding the new president, Shannon regrets that we focused on the color of his skin. “That has nothing to do with the things he’s going to do for us. Some didn’t vote for him for this reason, and I find that a shame.” But shh, it’s beginning!
The picture with the article on the Internet:
Pictures of the newspaper:



No comments:
Post a Comment