Thursday, April 9, 2009

busy day complete with primary schools and face violations

Today was a long day! And I didn't even go to the 9am BTS class! I couldn't sleep last night so I couldn't get up for it, and it's not like I speak more than a handful of English with them either. Besides that, Claude had something else planned for them. Don't worry, I more than made up for it. I left my room at 10am and didn't get back until almost 5pm.

Why such a long day? Well, it's my fault. I went to all my normal classes. The TGM were fine. I wanted to hit the older BTSers, because they have recently decided that they don't want to work (can you tell they're almost done with school?), but they did perk up a bit once they realized I was leaving soon. Once they learned they don't have much time left with me, they want to actually take advantage of what little time they have left with me. Next up, 1reGM which went well. Then, I had a quick 20 minute lunch (yes, 20 minute lunches can exist in France) before heading off to the 1reS class which has been completely on me the last few classes. I chose the topic, so it's me who's been leading the whole entire class practically. Probably will be all on me until after the holidays.

After the lycee classes, I tagged along with Claude to the primary school he works at. I received a celebrity type welcome as they all wiggled in their seats excitedly at my return. I heard plenty of gasps and "C'est Shannon!"s. So cute! Even the teachers were glad to see me again and we caught up doing the break. The last class however... yeah. Claude had some business to take care of with the teacher, so I soon found myself completely alone in the room faced with a class of 25 little kids and leading an English lesson. Yikes times a million. I survived. Obviously. Whenever they got too rowdy, there were always a few who shushed the others, reminding them to take advantage of the fact that they had an American with them. Aww! So sweet! And honestly, I'm surprised at how much English these kids could understand. I think in some cases, they understood more than what my own students can! But Claude did comment on how the classes were better behaved today, because they had a special guest. As much as I think these kids can be adorable, I wouldn't trade my students with them for anything.

Good dinner with the surveillants tonight. Love C. and S.! I'm going to miss laughing over dinner with them. C. has been especially "friendly" lately. The other day, he gave us three bises (or as they have so kindly become known as in Chauny... face violation). I mean, he did it with us at lunch, once in greeting us at dinner, and then to say goodbye. And then tonight, we had the normal "hello" bise/face violation. Nothing wrong with that. As he was leaving in a hurry with the impatient younger students, he came back over, and I thought he was just going to say to have a good evening. (He's recently started saying "Good evening" in English at the end of the night... haven't had the heart to tell him that's a greeting not a goodbye.) But before I could react, he flat out kissed one of my cheeks and did the same to Natasha saying "Je me depeche alors on fera comme ca. Good evening." (I'm in a hurry so we'll do it like this). Natasha and I just stared wide-eyed at each other until we were alone and could burst out laughing. Though as much as the French bise causes many an awkward moment like this, I'm going to miss it. I've gotten in such a habit of it that I might accidentally try to violate some of my friends faces. Beware!

Tomorrow, dinner chez Conseulo! So excited for that! And then Saturday night, last weekend dinner with all the assistants. Fun!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, small children are the devil. I yelled at one for talking today and he said under his breath to his neighbor "I liked Inke (the assistant last year) better." So I got down in his face and said "Do you honestly think I care if you like me???!!" in English et puis en français. Hahahahaha. So glad to be finished with that class after next week! And thank god they are mostly CM2 so that if I get renewed I wont have to deal with them again :)

    ReplyDelete