It's suddenly becoming a reality that the end is on the horizon. We've been talking about it for months. Okay, that was the others. I stayed in denial until I knew for sure that I'd be back in France in September. But now it's a reality. Yesterday, I had a wonderful lunch under the sun outside the cafe with Paul, Maria, a mutual friend, and a bunch of teachers from the other school (including Consuelo and her husband). We laughed so hard and for so long. Paul also taught Maria a very dirty word, so she kept repeating it and before long Consuelo was joining in. And their phrases kept getting more and more inappropriate. Thank God no one here in town speaks English. In the evening, we all met for a last soiree together and to say goodbye to Maria who left today. I didn't have to say my official goodbye to her, because she'll be back for a week while I'm still here. So it wasn't too hard for me. Yet.
Tonight, on the other hand, is when it all hit me. At the end of dinner, when it was just C. and myself left, he asked when I was leaving. When I told him the 8th of May, he became all sad. He won't be working the week right after the holiday, because he's covered a lot of other shifts lately! We had to say our goodbyes tonight. We exchanged emails so we can keep in touch, and he was more than happy to hear that I was planning to visit next year while in Paris. Even though we said "goodbye" tonight, he's going to try to stop in one of my classes tomorrow. Once I returned to my room, I felt overwhelmingly sad. The goodbyes have started. I really am nearing the end.
With all the ups and downs, this has been my life for the past two years. I know it's going to drive people nuts when I return home and all I talk about is my time. It's a big part of who I am now. My experiences, my life, it's all been here. And I cannot believe it's coming to an end. I loved my two years here in my small little crazy town. I have become so attached to a lot of my students (and them to me). They all keep asking me if I'll be back next year. It breaks my heart to say "No". It doesn't help that Claude told a few classes that I would definitely be here next year.
Other than that, classes have gone well this week. The BTSers are back in my good graces. Today, they were very pleasant and chatty despite me telling them that I was administering their oral exams the week after the holidays. After going over their "speeches", we started talking about Facebook, and one of the girls admitted she was afraid of the site. Some French have such irrational fears when it comes to the internet. It cracked me up. I also saw Carole's 2ndes for the last time. Those were a rowdy bunch, but they charmed me in the end. Despite the fact that when guessing my age during a game we played today, they kept guessing that I was in my 30s. Thanks for that one.
My lesson with Claude this week was intense but worth it. Why didn't we start these sooner?
So after tomorrow, it's the Spring holidays. Almost thought the London portion wasn't going to happen, but the blockade seems to be over. For those of you who don't follow French news, French fishermen were blocking the ports (and thus the ferries) to protest their fishing quotas. After the meeting today, they have agreed to end the blockade and find another manner to protest. Also, our internet might stop at anytime, so if I disappear, that is why.
So my holiday plans are these:
April 18-20: London with my school. Oh, I'm already picturing the students attempting to order lunch at McDonald's.
April 22-23(?): Paris
April 24-26: Strasbourg to visit my friend Katie (Finally after three years!)
April 28-May 1: Barcelona with Natasha
With all the ups and downs, this has been my life for the past two years. I know it's going to drive people nuts when I return home and all I talk about is my time. It's a big part of who I am now.truly great weblog!
ReplyDelete