Saturday, August 20, 2011

housing sorted and gre prep

So very long story short (suddenly, the room became very popular), I have a flatmate for this coming year! She'll be arriving at the end of September (no worries for the upcoming month though as Denise is staying with me). Her name is Clare, she's the same age as me, and she's Australian! We've chatted several times, and we seem to get along great. Not to mention that we share a love for Mexican food. I think we'll have a great year. I'm sure we'll have our share of minor disagreements (who doesn't?), but I have a very good feeling about this. When I offered the room to someone else, a part of me immediately hoped that he said 'no' even if I ended up having to live alone. I never had that reaction with Clare, and I usually have a good instinct.

I'm also preparing to take the GRE in September. Have I mentioned that yet? I don't remember. Anyway, since they revised the test, it's 50% off to take it until the end of September so I figured why not? However, going through the test prep book that I bought is just making me feel very stupid. I mean, how can I answer the question if I don't understand the meanings of any of the answers? I haven't even reached the math sections yet which scare me the most since I haven't taken a math class since 2003! Yikes. Let's just hope that I 1) decide against grad school 2) choose a grad school that doesn't require the GRE or doesn't put much weight on the scores or 3) have a very lucky day the day of the GRE and pass it with flying colors.

Other than that, I've just been tutoring, and sometime in the next week or so, I'm sure I'll be meeting up with Jane and our new colleague. We start class two weeks from Monday! I cannot believe that. Where did time go?

2 comments:

  1. Glad the roommate situation is all sorted out. Sounds like you guys are a good match. As far as the GRE goes, I don't think it's usually a make or break item in admissions, and you have so many other cool things on you CV, so I wouldn't worry too much, even though I definitely did before I took it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The worst part is that they revised the GRE so sometimes you have to input your answer or select multiple answers (and there's no partial credit), so I can't even rely on multiple guess.

    I just don't want to come off as a total idiot on the exam. I might cancel my reservation and take some actual time to prepare for it, and then only take it if I actually will need the scores. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete