Monday, August 22, 2011

two weeks left of freedom

If you can even count it as freedom with the amount I've been tutoring...

I go back to work two weeks from today. Two weeks. Where did summer go? And well, actually, I'll be going back to work in less than two weeks. It's just two weeks until my first lesson. And yes, that is Labor Day. While most of my dear readers will be kicking back to a relaxing day and perhaps some sale shopping, I'll be trying to force 3rd year engineering students to speak in English. Oh the joy.

I'm also going to have to figure out how I will schedule in all the tutoring. I have a feeling the parents are going to be competing for the coveted Wednesday time slots (there's no school in France on Wednesdays for primary students and a half day for the rest). I guess it will have to be whoever I started working with first and so on. Or whoever I like the most... Luckily, the one who hired me first is a family I adore, but for the other time slots...

I started the GRE math review section. Oh, the horrors. It states that it's all high school level math. Yes, but high school was almost 10 years ago. Math isn't like riding a bike. It is something you forget. And I used to be awesome at math! I was in the advanced classes with A+'s in all of those classes. And don't get me wrong, I can still do the basic things, but everything else? Yeah, forget about it. I'm going to keep reviewing and see if anything clicks, but there's a high chance that I'll forgo taking the exam in less than a month. Then, if I apply to a program that needs GRE scores (which if I do so, I won't be applying until Fall 2012 for a June 2013 entry), I'll do actual study and maybe take a prep course. The programs I'm looking to apply to this year for a Fall 2012 entry don't require scores. We'll see what happens! What am I thinking of doing? That's a whole other post for another day!

In really exciting news, I got my French prime d'emploi back on my taxes! It's basically a refund if you don't earn very much. Unfortunately, next year, I'll have to pay. Perhaps that's a good year to go back to not filing... And the exciting plan for this money? Paying my tax d'habitation (basically your property tax). If I ever get the bill... I find it strange that I have gotten neither that nor the avis d'imposition though the refund popped up in my account. I hope it's not going to my old address as that mail is no longer being forwarded.

3 comments:

  1. The taxe d'habitation comes much later than the other tax stuff---I think we got ours in October. And I got my "avis d'imposition" last year (when I didn't make enough to pay taxes) in September, after the date to pay taxes. So I think it's normal you don't have anything yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, cool. I'm not worried yet just curious as to where it is, because Hannah got hers over a week ago and she filed later than me.

    ReplyDelete