So this past weekend, I finally got out of my anti-social slump and became Miss Social Butterfly. Okay, so that's a bit of a stretch. Still,l I tossed aside my reading (I've been reading books like mad recently) and made plans with people that didn't involve tutoring them in English.
I spent Saturday afternoon with a lovely girl from Mexico who I met on the Couchsurfing site. She's an au pair near Cambrai (a town not too far from Valenciennes) and will soon be taking French classes here in Val. We spent the afternoon chatting over coffee and later a beer and wandering around town. Luckily, the rain held out for once, and it didn't rain until about an hour before her bus. I think she was relieved to find someone who knew the deal here and that she could communicate with (her French skills are VERY minimal but her English is really good). Hopefully, I'll be meeting with her again soon.
Saturday evening, I went with a friend to Les Nuits Secretes, a music festival in a nearby town. There are several stages, and we went to the one that was free. Unfortunately, it rained almost the entire time, and if you put up an umbrella during an act, people yelled at you. Despite being soaked to the bone, I did have a good time.
I didn't know any of the artists (my friend did), but one of them is the sister (half-sister?) of Eagle Eye Cherry. Remember him? He had that song "Save Tonight" that was popular like a decade or more ago. She was pretty good. The main attraction was Philippe Katherine. Basically, he's a singer who sometimes dresses like a girl and does ridiculous and stupid songs such as "La banane". Google the video. I'm sure it'll make you go WTF? especially if you understand French. The audience spent the whole time laughing and singing along. Oh, I laughed along with them, but it was more out of "I can't believe this crap is actually popular". French culture, what happened to you? Weren't you supposed to be all chic and superior?
In other news, my flatmate just arrived back (it's been over a month since we last saw each other) so roomie reunion time!!
No comments:
Post a Comment