Monday, December 8, 2008

k&k weekend in paris! (plus the telethon)

Friday was the Telethon... aka no work for me and one huge party for the school. During the one class time, there were no students, so Claude pulled in some of his other students and we discussed the hug versus the French "bise". I felt like I was in an episode of K&K! Haha. They just could not understand the concept of a hug outside of a romantic relationship. It was just too strange. I was like "Yeah, trying doing the bise to someone you meet in the US. See what happens." But it was an interesting conversation.

Anyway, back to the Telethon. Unlike last year, I really participated in this one. I didn't just buy cheap waffles and coffee. One of my students talked me into playing one of the games they had going. I won, but only because she gave me like a million tries. I watched the "Step" event. Okay, I get it's fitness value, but I don't understand it being used as entertainment to an audience. I missed the Hip Hop dance, but Claude found me afterwards to exclaim that the two guys hugged at the end. We then had to go find the boys, and he actually asked them where they learned the hug - if it had been in an American film. LOL. They just looked confused. I watched some of the surveillant baby foot (foosball), but it was boring, because it wasn't any of the surveillants I talk to. I then decided to go to the Star Academy event instead to watch people sing. Some of my students sang "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" in French. I have video! A big group including surveillant C. sang a hilarious song. A bunch of the teachers sang as well. After Star Academy, a group of 3-4 year olds came from a preschool and sang. So adorable! The place was packed to see that. Then, there was yet another step demonstration so the little kids had something to watch. Loved it!

Saturday, we headed to Paris. We did some shopping before heading to the big K&K Episode 200 event.  It was a blast even though I really couldn't hear.  I met a lot of really nice people.  And I saw Hart!  I pretty much tackled her when she walked in.  Oh how I missed her!  And she filled in some of the missing (and major) details that she left out about returning to France.  We spent half the time catching up which is also one of the reasons I couldn't hear the episode.  I got tunnel vision when Hart arrived, so I didn't bother trying to get a good place.  Oh well, I listened to it online.  After the episodes, there were some games and door prizes.  I won an autographed Polly Platt book!  Cool!  After we left the event, a few of us headed to another (cheaper) bar.  Good times.

Sunday, we went to the Christmas market out at La Defense (the biggest one in Paris).  We ate yummy tartiflette (seriously, the French version of comfort food) and had hot chocolate for lunch.  We wandered around the huge mall there as well which had a Toys 'R Us!!  Sweet!  After that, we went to the Champs Elysees.  Dude!  I bought the new J.K Rolling book - The Tales of Beedle the Bard - in French!  We went to the Christmas market there before walking to the Grands Magasins to see the decorations there and the Christmas tree inside of Galeries Lafayette.  We then walked back to the Champs Elysees to see the lights there.

Such a great weekend!!  Less than two weeks to go until Christmas break.  Wow.  Where did the time go??

Some pictures of the decorations in Paris:
Christmas tree at Galeries Lafeyette


Ferris Wheel at Place de la Concorde


Lights on the Champs Elysees


1 comment:

  1. Hey Shannon...

    Your pictures look BEAUTIFUL!! Glad you had a great weekend... I was sick so I couldn't make either of the K&K events- sadly!!! I watched the live stream and got to see a lot of what was going on.. Looked like a BLAST!!!
    Take care.... Leese

    ReplyDelete