We've been having issues with the power these last few days. So not fun when it is freezing out! Even less fun when the power goes out while you're in the shower and the water turns to ice while you still have shampoo in your hair! Or today, when the power outage caused the alarm in the school to go out, so I had to stand outside in the cold and rain for ten minutes! Argh! According to the newspaper, they've been pretty massive outages. Grr!
Okay, moving on... Yesterday, the school had it's repas de Noel (Christmas meal). After last year's wonderful meal, I was really looking forward to this year's. And it didn't disappoint! I had foie gras (yes, in a school cantine!) for my starter, turkey, beans, and these yummy potato things for my main course, cheese, and a chocolate raspberry dessert cake thing. Delicious! Plus, we all received huge chocolate Santas. I also talked to a teacher who is new this year for the first time. Apparently, she was a French assistant in England! Her English is pretty decent, and she is super nice. I forgot from last year that the class after lunch is usually delayed, because so many people are trying to eat at the cantine for the repas de Noel. So I showed up, and I was so confused when none of the teachers left the teacher room, but it soon hit me. Then, we all realized that not only was the class delayed, but it was canceled completely! Actually, all classes from 12:05-2:20 were canceled. For a meal. Nice. Only in France.
Okay, here's the real kicker. We show up for the 2:20 class with the BTS. We can't get in the room. Claude's keys won't work. Someone else was having the same problem, but I didn't think much of it. Claude went to get Sn. who opened the other door to the room (even though my BTSers pleaded with him not to). One of the maintenance guys came to work on the lock while we were in class. After awhile, he apologizes for disrupting the class for so long and says he'll return later. Claude assures him that it's fine. The guy just sort of shrugged and said that he would see if one of the other doors was easier to fix for the time being. Hold on! Other doors? Apparently, during this long lunchtime (and despite the fact that there were extra surveillants around), someone jammed the locks in most of the doors! Ahh... my lovely students.
Last night, us assistants had a little Christmas celebration since Maria is leaving today. It was fun! Paul's parents had brought him some crackers (these noise makers with surprises inside!), so we had fun with those and ate far too much. Paul also bought a bottle of nice (well, nice for us) wine. It was such a good evening.
Oh! Also recently had a meeting for the London trip. Loved listening to the French people butcher the English names of places. Sometimes, I understood what they were referring to, other time, I needed Claude to take away the French accent for me so that it made sense. This trip is going to be interesting to say the least!
No comments:
Post a Comment