La rentrée, as the French call it, went very well. It was nice being away for awhile, but it felt even better being back. I do miss my crazy little town and my students.
Friday, after what felt like pulling teeth for the first five hours of classes, I had a very pleasant sixth hour. Claire, the new English teacher, was sick. In France, when a teacher is absent, that means the students have a free period. Well, a few of her students, my beloved TGM, talked to Claude during the break requesting to have class with me. When I ran into them afterwards, I quickly agreed, so I left Claude's students and took these four TGM students. I had nothing planned obviously, but they wanted to play a game. They came up with something, and we had a very successful hour in which I had them all speaking English. One kid never even speaks in class, but he participated! The hour flew by! Claire was so surprised to learn that her students wanted to give up their time to come with me. I feel loved.
I saw a bunch of people I know at the cafe this weekend. I was able to catch up with M. and his friend J which was nice, because Roxy was glued to her computer, so I went over and sat at their table. They started throwing out random English words and phrases, and we were cracking up. J. kept saying the word "rear", and M. kept laughing over how funny it sounded. It was pretty funny once you added in J.'s accent. I also ran into surveillants S., Sn., and C. at various times. One of the many reasons I love being back in Chauny, I'm always guaranteed to run into people I know! And one of the owners also chatted with me about my vacation in Aix and if I visited the "La Rotonde" there. Kind of hard not to as it's the biggest roundabout and fountain in Aix.
I convinced Roxy to go out for a drink Saturday night. It was kind of lame, but the music wasn't too bad. Of course, she wanted to leave soon after arriving. I found out yesterday while talking to M. that he showed literally five minutes after we left. Dommage!
Today, while checking the mail and paying rent, I saw the secretary from the past few years. I think she's back! I lit up when I saw her. I owe it all to her. She's the one who insisted the paperwork for renewal be completed.
I have potential plans with Claire for next week (she's out of town most of this week because of the holiday Wednesday) which is cool. She doesn't know anyone in town, so she more than willing accepted the invitation to hang out. Also, plans are set in motion for Thanksgiving. It looks like Roxy and I (and hopefully Emily!) will be going to Noyon and making the meal with the assistants there.
*yawn* I am so sleepy. I didn't fall asleep until late last night. Staying up until 2am chatting with C. on MSN seemed like a good idea at the time, but now, I'm so tired! It's not like I have anything to do today, but I didn't want to throw off my sleeping schedule by getting up late. It was worth it though. With the break and then him being sick, we talked for a total of like 5 minutes after returning to work, so we had plenty to catch up on. We still have loads to talk about, but it was late, and we both needed to sleep and he still had to eat dinner. He didn't realize it was so late until I pointed it out to him. LOL.
No comments:
Post a Comment