Thursday, August 30, 2012

officially a student again!


After a rather lazy week in Valenciennes and a calm weekend in Lille (though we did go to a birthday party and eat my favorite food - burritos), I came back to Valenciennes and started the oh so fun dealing with French administration thing. Monday afternoon, I headed to the university and picked up the form I need to fill out to enroll as well as made an appointment for the actual registration.

Yesterday, I headed back out there armed with the form and photocopies and originals of every document imaginable. I was ready. I impressed the woman who was doing my registration. Every time she asked if I had X document, I pulled out the original and the photocopy. She was also fascinated by my birth certificate, because she had never seen an American one before. I also caused quite a commotion, because the hospital where I was born is located in a town that has the same name as where Desperate Housewives takes place. I did not know this (never saw the series), so I was confused as to why they were so excited at first. I then had to assure them that the series was not based on this town.

After the enrollment, I paid for my year of classes and health insurance (bye bye 462 euros - but oh so cheap!), and then, got the picture taken for my student ID which I'm not too thrilled with. I then filled out the paperwork for my health insurance (again, they got all excited over where I was born) and was good to go.

I walked across campus to go to the secretary who is in charge of my program to sign up for classes. Of course, her office isn't open until next Monday. Oh, France.

Other than that, my private lessons are starting back up. They're going well so far. I still don't know which families I'll be able to continue with this year, because I don't have my schedule yet.

The guy who has my position this year is also staying with me while he looks for a place, so it's been nice having some company while Brazilian is away for work. Last night, we went to our colleague's Jane's house for dinner with her family. It was absolutely lovely to catch up with her and share a delicious home-cooked meal (including a stinky cheese from her husband's parents' place). Jane and I are hoping to grab lunch together sometime next week. It's nice that she wants to continue to keep up with me.

Tonight, after my English lesson, I'm heading to Lille for the weekend. J.'s off from work a few days surrounding this weekend, so that'll be nice. Tomorrow, we're having lunch with another former lectrice from last year and her boyfriend since they're in town, and then this weekend is the huge Braderie de Lille. It's like a flea market, I guess you could say. It's the biggest one in Europe and millions of people go. It's not only about the market, but parties, enjoying Northern French specialities (food and beer), etc. It should be a good time, and the weather is supposed to be nice - how very unNorth of it.

3 comments:

  1. I'm popping a bottle of champagne to your 462 euros tuition! The American uni here try to send me an invoice for...wait for it...56,000 euros!

    Like fer real.

    I filed the invoice in my special filing cabinet under my kitchen sink and will now be looking into a French uni next fall. Can I come to you for advice? : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That's sooooooooo expensive! Yeah, the American accredited unis here are ridiculously priced. French unis are set by the government. The price for a Masters is 255 this year plus 207 for the health insurance. The price per year of a license is even cheaper!

      You can definitely come to me for advice!

      Delete
    2. Shannon

      Nice to see that you're back in France....

      Slightly worried to see that you were born in a town that has the same name as where Desperate Housewives takes place.

      However - I suppose I shouldn't really be surprised?

      All the best

      Keith

      Delete