Monday, August 20, 2012
settling back in... if you can call it that
I've been back in France for over a week now. Wow, time does go by fast. In some ways, it feels like I just left the States, but in others, it feels like I never actually left France. And I think my jet lag might finally be working itself out. I had some sleepless nights (and late sleep ins) since arriving back.
Last week, I got to see Denise and two of her friends before she headed back to Canada for her new visa. We all had a nice meal together, drinking and eating too much before listening to J. and mine's Olympic playlist and cracking open a nice bottle of wine that was given to Brazilian and me ages ago.
I also introduced the Frenchies to s'mores. Complete with an introductory lesson thanks to a clip from the Sandlot. Of course, the three Canadians were more than familiar with s'mores, but they enjoyed them just as much if not more than the French.
The next day was a holiday, so J and I were extremely lazy, only managing to soak up some sun on a terrace. Later, we decided to watch Grimm on my computer. Knowing I wouldn't have enough battery, I plugged my computer in. It wouldn't charge. I tried many outlets over the next few hours in vain before deciding to head back to Lille with J. to see if my computer would work with his charger. I had promised Veronique's daughter I would correct her portfolios for her degree in London, so I had to have a working and charged computer. My computer charged with his charger no problem (phew), but of course, my charger was also working just fine. I had been planning on spending the weekend there anyway, so ending up there a few days early wasn't exactly a problem. I was just more annoyed than anything.
We had a relaxing weekend, trying our best to stay cool. It was HOT. Yes, I had those temps the whole time I was in the US, but there's air conditioning everywhere! We were just basically baking here. We got lost for hours in Ikea (yay Swedish meatballs for lunch!), had mojitos and tapas on his balcony, watched some weird Belgian film, and managed not to melt.
It seems the heatwave was brief. While still hot today, and coming home to a hot closed up house was not pleasant, it does feel cooler out and the temps for the next few days are reasonable summer temperatures.
I also have my first private lesson in over a month tomorrow. Oy. And I haven't seen this girl in two months. Double oy. Slowly getting back to reality here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Nice blog face-lift! It's looking good! Enjoy these last few moments of summer because I feel it slipping away. La rentree is getting closer and closer...boo.
ReplyDeleteI loved the mojito/tapas picture you tweeted! Your mojitos looked so refreshing and not sugary like they sometimes tend to be. Bravo!
Thanks! I felt like the blog needed a little change.
DeleteMy boyfriend is responsible for the delicious mojitos! And you're right, they were quite refreshing. The mint was fresh from his little garden, and he uses Perrier instead of club soda. So good!