Internet at the school has been spotty the last few days, so I may not be around much until we get the internet in our rooms.
Friday was good. I did some wandering around town (what else is new?). I went to a class. There's only 5 students, and the class is special because English is their second foreign language instead of their first. They basically just asked me questions and vice versa.
Katie and I had dinner at the other assistants place. It was nice. Their kitchen is tiny, but it has all the necessities. We made pasta and the Spanish assistant made amazing garlic cheese bread.
Saturday, we all headed to Paris for La Nuit Blanche (basically a big party in the city). It was a good time. I did some shopping... spent too much on makeup at Sephora. We went to the Eiffel Tower and saw the start of the twinkling lights. So pretty! We went to dinner where everyone was watching the France/New Zealand rugby match. We couldn't see the TV but we could keep track of what was going on by the sounds of the crowd. France won, so everyone was driving around honking their horns! Quite the celebration!
We wandered around some of the happenings for La Nuit Blanche. We were outside of Notre Dame for awhile and then went to the Jardins des Tuileries which had become le jardin de fer (fire garden). There were people performing with fire and fire lanterns lit up everywhere. It was quite the site! We met up with some other assistants and then some random French people who heard us speaking English. Unfortunately, we stayed there too long and the party sort of left, so we ended up spending the rest of the night wandering around looking for an open cafe to eat at and warm up.
Sunday, I took the first train back to Chauny and then slept some before wandering around the town. Pretty much everything but a few boulangeries was closed. Sundays will be very boring in this town. I think the next time the weather is good on a Sunday, I will go to some of the cemeteries from World War II. Hopefully, those are open...
At night, we saw La Goute de la Vie (aka the American film No Reservations dubbed into French). It was good, and I understood most of the French. We then headed to the other assistants' place for crepes. Yummy!
In non fun news, I got the notice for my medical visit. It's good that it's scheduled so soon and not during my vacation, but it's at 8:15 in the morning in another city, and it's looking like I can't get there that early in the morning. I've looked at the SNCF site, and it says that I can, but according to the train schedules, I can't. Guess I'll have to go down to the train station and ask.
Okay, I should probably go find my contact person (a pretty impossible feat) and see what I'm supposed to be doing.
No comments:
Post a Comment