Monday, October 15, 2007

Let's see... what have I done since my last update?

Last Wednesday, I went to St. Quentin (the biggest city in the area) with the other assistants to go shopping. I behaved myself and didn't buy anything... okay, so I didn't see anything that I liked. Even with the city being bigger, there isn't too many stores. I would have much rather spent some of the time there sitting at one of the cafes people-watching, but oh well. Maybe next time. We also met a Moroccan on the train who went to a few of the stores with us. Our group has a tendency to make random friends with people.

Thursday and Friday, I had some bad experiences at lunch. Thursday, it was what can be translated to seafood sauerkraut, and when I say seafood, I mean unrecognizable pieces of something... I ate the potatoes and bread that came with it. Friday, I picked up what looked like chicken or turkey. Walking away, I noticed that it smelled like it was fresh from the farm, and it in fact did not look like actual meat. Turns out, it was tripe, which is like cow stomach or intestines or something. Needless to say, I did not eat it. I wasn't the only one to make that mistake. Another teacher thought the same thing and was grossed out by here meal and wouldn't eat it. That made me feel better. Both nights, we dined with the other assistants. Much much better food. Actually, Friday, it was just me and Viany (the Spanish assistant), because the others went to Amiens to go out drinking. I didn't want to go because it's expensive and well, drinking is just not fun for me, and they were staying up all night. Dinner was fun though! We couldn't use English to communicate at all!

Saturday, I pretty much just wandered around the town for most of the day. I went shopping with Viany for a bit. We all met up for the France vs. English rugby match. We found an open bar (there was like two open on a Saturday night... how sad) and watched the match. I couldn't actually see the TV screen (not that I would know what was going on if I had), so I just followed the game by what the French men were screaming at the TV. France lost, which was sad, because we were going to go to Paris to go out and watch the final game if they had won.

Sunday, I woke up to my phone ringing. It was Veronique! I reached for my watch, and it said that it was almost 2:00. It wasn't until after I finished my conversation with Vero (which was short because she could tell that I had been sleeping) that I looked at the time on my phone and saw that it was only 9:00. My watch had stopped working! But anyway, Vero told me that she doesn't have a student this semester so I can come stay in my old room whenever I want. I'm going for the first vacation! Just bought my ticket!

In the afternoon, I went to the cemeteries in Chauny. I went to the community one as well as the military one. The military one is from WWI and has British, French, and German graves. It was quite an eerie feeling walking amongst the graves. I also took a bunch of pictures of the town. Once I have internet in my room, I will upload the pictures. For dinner, Viany made quiche which was quite yummy. We then all saw the film Knocked Up dubbed into French. I had already seen the film in the US (and hated it), so of course, I didn't much enjoy it in French either.

I think that's about all for now...

I can't wait until I have the Internet in my room and can put more time into my posts instead of just rambling on.

No comments:

Post a Comment