Friday, October 26, 2007

the teaching thing

Today and yesterday, I had a bunch of classes. Thursdays and Fridays are going to be my busiest days! I had a class with the secondes (first year students). I thoroughly enjoy this class. The students actually fight over who gets to go with me. I only took a small group, and I had them ask me a few questions and then we played the "Two Truths and One Lie Game". It went over pretty well. Then, I had a class with the dreaded DP6. Before the class, I was chatting with one of the other teachers, and I made a comment about how when I was alone with the DP6 students, I had to point to a student and be like "Toi! (you) How old are you?!" to get anything out of them. Another teacher just burst out laughing. She was like "Il faut faire ca" (you must do that). This week, I wasn't alone with the group, so the teacher and I took turns being in charge. She had to exclude two of the students, but it went well.

Today, I had five classes. Yikes! In the morning, I did my Halloween lesson with a group of premiers (second year students). I had them each read some of a story out loud and answer some questions. They then had to continue the story. Only one student said anything, and it really wasn't that great, but he tried. We then played Halloween Hangman, which became my fallback today whenever I ran out of things to say/do with the students.

In the afternoon, I will have 4 or 5 classes straight (depending on the week). Luckily, today, it wasn't too bad. My terminales (last year students) didn't show up for their "voluntary" lesson with me, so after vacation, it will go back to being mandatory. I then took a small group of BTS students (post high school students). It went well, though I must say that it's odd to have students that are only like a year younger than me if that. I was supposed to have another group of secondes after that, but they had a quiz today, so I was off the hook. My last class was supposed to be with another group of terminales, but once again, no one showed. However, their teacher literally dragged a group of them away from their foosball game. They were not too happy about that, but I made it through... and I must say, high school students in France sure love the game Hangman.

I had to wait to get the key from the teacher to lock the room (rooms must be locked at all times when no one is in the room), and the next thing I know, I am being given a group of secondes (they were back, the same group that had the quiz... don't ask me how French high student schedules work). I didn't mind too much, because that class is my favorite, and the students even gave me candy! We played the Truth/Lie game and Halloween Hangman, but it went even better with this group, because they each went multiple times and even started coming up with the words to guess for the Hangman games.

So I guess you can say that I finally had my first two days of actual teaching... kind of. Need to work on the lesson plans a bit. It's just so hard, because their level of English is not quite as high as I expected. I mean, I wasn't expecting them to be able to hold a long conversation or anything, but I was expecting more. It's the kind of high school I'm at.

And don't worry, I won't walk you through every single class I have all the time. That would be very boring.

Oh, and starting the week after vacation, I'm going to be going to some primary school classes. Yay more to do! Unfortunately, I need to be ready to go at 8:15 in the morning. Bye bye sleep.

Other than that, I have nothing else to say but that I am now on vacation!! I leave tomorrow for Aix-en-Provence, and I'll be coming back the evening of November 6. I will more likely than not have no Internet access until I get back, so don't expect to hear from me until then! Got to go pack! Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment