Friday, December 14, 2007

it's official... i'm a resident of france

Last night went very well. Florence's friend was really nice. She made delicious orange tea and gave us yummy cherry liquor chocolates. I did not expect there to be alcohol (and strong alcohol) at that in the chocolates. That was definitely a surprise. We watched the movie Ghost and just had a really good conversation. The woman also has two daughter, one who goes to lycee in Soissons and the other who lives at home. The daughter was really nice to talk to, and I know my French is improving a bit if I can understand a young teenage girl. I always had a hell of a time understanding Roxane.

Today, I had two classes only... two others didn't show (comme d'habitude), and the two students that I meet with for conversation also didn't come, but they had told me the other day that they had a meeting. Oh well. The two that I did have went well.

One teacher told me today that I sounded like her friend from Moscow when I speak French. Interesting... I had no idea how to respond to that. I'm pretty sure I don't have a Russian accent. Last I checked, it was American. Claude always says that I have an American accent when I speak French, and that's not because of my pronunciation (!) most of the time, but because of the way I "sing", or the way I still keep my up and down way of speaking English instead of the flat French way. It's hard to explain without actually demonstrating what I mean.

The big news of the day is that I now have my carte de sejour (residency card)! I just picked it up from the mairie, so now I am officially a resident of France! So cool! It won't be "illegal" for me to leave the country without the visa de retour (some new thing the government now requires for people who don't have their card).

I also went to the post office, which isn't too fascinating.

This morning I woke up with a horrible sore throat, but it seems to have subsided a bit. There's been moments where I have felt blah today, but I think I'll be okay. I'm pretty just getting a cold from the cold weather and being out in the rain all week. Though this means that I definitely won't be joining the others in Amiens tonight as they are going to stay out until the first train back in the morning. I can't do that. I won't make it. I was debating all week whether to go or not, but the thought of being sick out in the cold was the decision maker. Plus, Viany is staying, so maybe she and I will head to Cuban Cafe for a bit.

I'm also losing my mind a bit. I picked up a new white board marker in the office, and somehow, I managed to lose both that one, my old one, and a pen. No idea where they went. I got to class and was like "Wait a minute...", so I had to borrow one from Claude. Oops.

No comments:

Post a Comment