Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Yesterday was a great day. First off, I discovered that the guy Hart danced with the other night is quite possibly one of my students. I'm not 100% sure it's the same guy, but I'm pretty close to positive. Especially when I saw him at lunch today, and he had said something and a bunch of people looked over towards me and Katie. Can't be too much of a coincidence... Note to self: Pay more attention to what every single student looks like... don't want to be in the same situation.

But that's obviously not what was great about the day. I met last year's assistant. She stopped by one of the classes I was in to talk with Claude (and to meet me). And wow, I must say that she speaks amazing French. I can only hope that I'm like that by the time I leave. Just a side note... everyone keeps telling me that I speak very well. Today, one teacher was even like "Tu parle couramment" (You're fluent). I was like "Moi non. Pas de tout" (Not at all). Yes, I can usually get my point across, but I do have a hard time keeping up in a conversation unless the person is talking directly to me. Plus, my horrible accent is well... horrible. Anyway, back to last year's assistant. She's really nice, and she gave me her contact information. She's currently a student in Lille, so it'll be nice to get to know her.

Dinner was really nice as well. Katie and I had an actual conversation with the guys from the surveillant (and Antoine... in his own way). We need to keep that up! Later, we met up with Guy and Hart to see "Il etait une fois" aka "Enchanted". Cute movie. We kept cracking up at all of the throwbacks to old Disney movies. But I'm not a fan of a dubbed Patrick Dempsey. Pas de tout. Although I think the funniest part of the movie was when the girl went from being a cartoon to a real woman, a bunch of guys were like "Cool... pas mal. Pas mal de tout" (Not bad). We just all started laughing.

Today was class as usual. I saw the guy who works at the bar we went to. He asked me if I had a good time and if we're all going to go again. Bien sur. Okay, lunch was one of the best lunches we had. Not in food terms, but in conversation terms. We sat with the maintenance/janitor guy as per usual and then the physical education teacher joined us (he's the one who called me fluent). We talked about vacation plans... go me for actually having really cool travel plans, Picardie, Aix-en-Provence, sports (PE teacher, remember?), etc. And when the PE teacher said "C'est kif-kif" (in reference to the size of Marseille and Lyon), I was very happy to be able to understand that slang and the context he was using it in.

Random... I saw two horse drawn carriages today while I was doing my laundry. I have no idea what that was about...

Tonight, Florence, the English teacher that I work with every other week with the DP6, invited me to dinner. It was really nice of her. She made a wonderful meal for us, and we drank wine and watched Pride and Prejudice. Such a great evening. We talked for the most part in French, but she spoke a little English with me, because she wants to practice. Some of the things she said and did reminded me so much of Veronique. "Shannon, si tu l'aimes pas, tu me dit" (If you don't like it, tell me). Seriously, I could hear Vero's voice in my head. Total flashback. That just made me feel so comfortable.

Oh! And I also got lots of mail today. My plane tickets, train tickets, a card from Joanna, and a package from my mom! I am quite the happy camper at the moment. Wow, my mind is in French mode tonight. I kept inserting French phrases at random... I almost just wrote "a ce moment". I'd actually write some in French right now, but I really want to go watch the latest episode of Gossip Girl (TV that's so bad, it's addicting) before bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment