Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Out of the five classes that I should have had so far this week, I've only had two. Why, you ask? Because the BTS have exams all week, so I haven't had them. Sad. They're my favorites.

Monday night, Viany made us homemade pizzas. Yummy! Katie and I said that we were feeling like pizza. We were thinking about picking pizzas up. You know, buy them in town. Of course, that doesn't exist in Viany world. She made the dough and everything! We had fun as well. Somehow, we started talking about verlan, which is kind of like slang where the syllables of words are reversed. I was trying to explain it, and I said "It's the language of the beurs!", only they thought I said "bears". It was pretty funny. And then I explained the whole beur generation and where the word "beur" even came from ("arabe" in verlan).

Yesterday, in one of my classes, we just listened to music. That was fun. Maybe I should actually prepare a lesson involving music. Although the CD Claude is using is totally the one I made for him, so it's kind of like I planned the lesson. All he did was find the lyrics.

The other class I went to got to have "Torture Shannon Time". Oh, my favorite time! Someone commented that I moved my lips weird when I spoke English and had such a bizarre accent, which led to them asking if I could understand someone from England. Of course I can! But anyway, they were trying to mimic the way I talked, and the next thing I know, I'm being asked to say complicated French words, complete with lots of "R"s. I hate the French "R" with a passion. I had to try to mimic Claude. I was horrible. The students got a kick out of it. Especially when Claude decided to imitate me speaking French. Except, I really do not sound as bad as he was imitating. He said the word "Paris" in a horrible accent, and I was like "I do not say it like that!" He made me say "Paris", which I did... perfectly. Ha! Take that! He tried to teach me a few tricks to the "R". I'll have to try them out. He explained to me after class that he like doing things like that to me in class, because it makes the students feel a bit more comfortable with their English and speaking it with me. I don't mind. It's helping me learn as well.

Last night, we celebrated Hart's birthday. Viany made a wonderful dinner (as always) and a delicious pineapple cake. It was awesome! We had a good time just chatting and putting to use the gifts we got Hart before heading out to the Cuban Cafe for some drinks and to play pool. Guy and I totally rocked that game of pool. Is it a bad thing that I am good at pool in France? Well, I'm not any better than I am in the States... just the French people we meet are horrible at it.

Today, Guy, Katie, and I headed to St. Quentin for the afternoon. I bought some things at Sephora. Man, that place is dangerous! It's impossible to go in just for one thing. We also got some vin chaud in this really funky building they put up in the Christmas market. It's like "old tavern" styled. It was fun. People were dressed up in old clothes, and there was old music. It was great! I took a few pictures... I'll get those up soon.

Two more days until vacation! I can't wait!

It's still crazily cold outside. I don't even know if it's getting above freezing anymore. I'm trying to convince myself to go do laundry tonight, but it's so cold that I'm not sure if I want to walk all the way down and back with my laundry.

No comments:

Post a Comment