Wednesday, January 9, 2008

I so need to pay more attention to what is going on back in the States. I just happened to see some of the results for yesterday's presidential primary, but I did pay much attention to it, but at least I noted that Hilary won. And thankfully I knew at least that. I went to my class with the BTSers today, when one turned to me and asked me something. I stared at him blankly, because I had only half heard him. He repeated it, but of course, it still being relatively early, I only understood something about me voting, so I just said "Non" figuring he'd drop it. Of course that was wishful thinking. Then, I remembered the primaries. And I was thankful that I had at least read a few things this morning. It would have been horrible if they knew more than I did. This then led to a discussion on American politics, political parties, and the election system in comparison to France. All in French, mind you. I held my own. Well, at least I could follow the conversation and add in a few thoughts.

Other than that, not much to report. My classes since break have all gone well. I've also noticed that the French all still say "Meilleurs voeux" and "Bonne annee" (best wishes, happy New Year) the first time they see you after the New Year... even if it is already the 9th. It's been kind of nice, actually. Katie and I saw surveillant S. on the way to the other assistants' tonight, and he also wished us the same sentiments. Poor guy did not have a good vacation though. I also had some very sweet text messages from Veronique... although it appears that she and her best friend are in a fight. She's supposed to call me sometime by the end of the week.

So everyone is back in Chauny now. Katie and I had some really good laughs on our way into town, and then of course we all had a great dinner and conversation time tonight. I really missed everyone. We've also started discussing travel ideas and weekend trip type things. I'm excited! And this Friday, we are partying it up right in Chauny (oh yes, we have big plans) and then most likely going to Paris on Saturday. I can't wait.

Les soldes also started today. Chauny was all decked out. Yesterday, all of the stores closed early in preparation. Today, the town was booming. Though this being Chauny, I'm not expecting to find any "must have" items for myself. Maybe in Paris though... too bad I have like no euros left. And for those that don't know, les soldes are huge sales that happen twice a year in France. Unlike in the U.S. where there's a sale practically everyday, the big sales here come in January and July. It's a big deal.

Oh! And P.S. Nicolas Sarkozy and Carla Brunii?! What?!

No comments:

Post a Comment