Monday, January 7, 2008

a time for reflection

Well, it's a new year. Duh. Go me for stating the obvious. I've been reading a lot of blog posts and reflections about the previous year and the entrance into 2008, so I thought that I would do one of my own.

It's crazy to think that a year ago, I was starting my last semester of college. Now, here I am, a college graduate, more or less still at a loss of what I want to do with my life, but living in a foreign country on my own. If you would have told me that I would be doing this a few years ago, I probably would have looked at you like you were insane.

It's even more insane to think about how much I hated my first two months here in Chauny. Now, I look back and see that as more of an adjustment period. I can't believe that I would have even contemplated going home. Yes, Chauny is still too small for me, but I have grown to appreciate it. I don't know when I started to refer to Chauny as "home", but I have. And you know what, it is sort of like a home. I have met so many great people. I have amazing friends here. And I am continually looking forward to making new ones.

I have learned a lot about myself. I have learned to calm down and relax and go with the flow. Yes, I sometimes have relapses into being obsessively early or what have you, but I am trying. I have learned to be more open and to talk to people. Yes, I still have my bouts of utter shyness, but I'm working on it. I've learned to go out and have fun. I'm young with next to no real responsibilities, so why not just enjoy my time here? I received a message from a friend today. She mentioned an essay she read about someone who spent time abroad and decided to never say "No". It's a really good idea, and I've decided to follow that advice. If someone asks me to do something, I'm going to say "Yes" no matter what (well, unless it's something no one in their right mind would do). I've decided to just put myself out there. I don't want to go home with regrets, because I didn't do something.

I currently love my life here. Yes, I miss my family and friends (and dogs), but this is an opportunity of a lifetime. I'm not going to dwell on what I might be missing at home. I'm going to take these next few months and just have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment